Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Better to be informed before I have the need for it to reduce stress
:

1 If I suspect I have mastitis, will I have to see a doctor and if so, what kind of doctor? If not, what can I do myself?

2: If I or the baby have thrush, do I need to see a doctor ( again, what kind?) and if not how can I treat it myself?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
1. Yes, see a good doctor, preferably one who is a lactation consultant or at least who nursed her own babies. You may or may not need antibiotics. I had mastitis and did need antibiotics because I had a high fever that dried up my milk like you wouldn't believe. Some cases of mastitis are not so bad and can be treated with hot compresses, massage & hand expression, and pumping. Do something as soon as you suspect mastitis. Warning signs are a painful spot in the breast, seemingly diminished milk flow (doesn't always happen), a hard lump in the breast, and red streaks on the side of the breast. If you see the red streaks (and they're not from whatever you were lying on) it's a pretty safe bet you have mastitis. It is nasty.

2. I can't speak to this one personally but everyone I know who's had thrush swears by gentian violet - an alcohol-based herbal anti-yeast/fungal preparation that turns your boobs and your baby's mouth bright purple, but works like a charm. I don't know if you have to see a doctor about this one or not.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But what doctor do you see for a mastitis? Family doctor, pediatrician, gyn ? ( I don't have one, I see a midwife)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts