Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds is not even three yet, and I'm uncertain about what plans we'll make for schooling in the future but he's interested in numbers large and small lately, and I'm finding myself trying to explain concepts without really being certain of the correct language or possible approaches. More clearly, I'm trying to explain the idea of values and places (ones, tens, hundreds and so on) because of his interest. I have tried representing these ideas with objects (marbles) and drawings, but I feel like I'm falling a little short of a clear presentation.

I am not wanting to give information with the expectation of mastery, I just want to follow the interest and give correct and useful information. Whether or not it proves useful right now or is assimilated at this point isn't really a concern. I would really appreciate suggestions for just about anything, really, that might address this specific question. Specific books about number systems, or simple texts or games or visual/tactile tools, anything at all that might help with this concept and perhaps with others as well.

Thank you!

· Registered
2,420 Posts
After reading about it here, I bought "Count on Math" from Amazon.

My oldest just turned 4 and the age range for the book is 3-7. It's a book of activities in order from very basic to more advanced. The activities are divided into chapters for each concept.

We've done a dozen or so activities so far (some we had already done before). The first ones are to introduce descriptive terminology. Some early activities;

junk box exploration
sand table play
sinkers and floaters (in the air, water)
stickers and non stickers with magnets

Some later concepts are classification, patterns, numeration, fractions etc.

How fast you go through it depends on the age/personality of the child. It's a fun way to play with math without actually pushing it as learning math, kwim?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.