Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have decided to try these since I will need something for trips as well, especially if we go to the Dominican Rep. this fall where there wont be access to washer/dryer at all.

So I am going to make them myself and figure I will just try a few to start, if I like them I can make more and dye them -- I love a fun project!

So tell me:

If I make them out of hemp jersey do I just do one layer 30 x 30 and surge the edges?

Same thing with hemp fleece?

Does anyone have the link to the folding directions?

Are they 30 x 30 before washing and shrinking or after?

I think thats it for now!

TIA!

· Registered
6,061 Posts
I dont know the answer to making them but I was thinking that if you dont have access to a washer and dryer, plain old fashoined cotton ones might be best. They clean up easy and dry in no time.

Just a thought.

· Registered
6,778 Posts
I hope Max's Mami doesn't mind if I tack my flats questions on here... I figure, less chance of our threads getting buried this way.

I want to make flats as cheaply as possible. I have some cotton jersey sheets that I bought for the boys' beds and I really don't like them. They don't fit well and they are pulled out of shape in the washer, likely because they are so big. So I'm thinking of cutting up the sheets to make flats, and then I can buy new sheets instead of fabric, and get rid of my annoying sheets too. Is cotton jersey going to be very absorbant? I mean, it's t-shirt material, not terribly thick, but I would be doubling them then. I don't know if it's 100% cotton -- if it has polyester in it, should I not use it? That would make them less absorbant, right?

TIA!

· Registered
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisen
I hope Max's Mami doesn't mind if I tack my flats questions on here... I figure, less chance of our threads getting buried this way.

I want to make flats as cheaply as possible. I have some cotton jersey sheets that I bought for the boys' beds and I really don't like them. They don't fit well and they are pulled out of shape in the washer, likely because they are so big. So I'm thinking of cutting up the sheets to make flats, and then I can buy new sheets instead of fabric, and get rid of my annoying sheets too. Is cotton jersey going to be very absorbant? I mean, it's t-shirt material, not terribly thick, but I would be doubling them then. I don't know if it's 100% cotton -- if it has polyester in it, should I not use it? That would make them less absorbant, right?

TIA!
If they are 100% cotton they should be fairly absorbant -- if they are a blend then not so much.

Anyone have an idea how the edges are finished? Are they surged?

· Registered
1,851 Posts
actually if you want to go super easy - if the fabric is a knit fabric (such as hemp fleece or hemp jersey) you don't have to hem or serge the edges. They won't ravel. If the fabric isn't a knit then you need to either serge or hem - either would work...it's just a matter of your own preference.

There are different sizes some are 24, 27 or 30 inch square. I prefer oblongs which are 36x20something after shrinking.

Personally...I would shrink out the fabric first and then make them. And I would only use 100% cotton or a hemp/cotton blend. But then I don't use polyester in any of my baby stuff.

A couple of us posted links for folding pages on the other flat thread. One is at http://www.weebees.com/web_page/nappy_fold_kite.html (that the bottom of that page there are links to other folding styles.

· Registered
6,061 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max's Mami
Wow that oragami fold is tricky! I think I need to print that out to follow it step by step. Then again I am sick and pretty out of it so maybe it will seem more simple in a few days.
:
I LOOOOOVE the oragami fold, it really is easy, just looks hard, LOL

· Registered
8,113 Posts
I like my 1 layer organic cotton jersey for day time - they don't really snappi well, but I do pin and figured I'll deal with pin holes if/when they appear. I also made one 1 layer organic cotton fleece for night time and love it too. I thought about getting some nice soft, cute flannel too to make cute, designer ones.

· Registered
1,851 Posts
Oh yah I forgot about the snappi thing - I hate those things so I'm not much help with that. And I actually rarely used pins because I had covers that were snug enough...didn't need any closures on the diapers. But I wouldn't worry about pin holes...they should close back up when washing. And you will get that with flannel too. Runs??? hmmm ok never had it happen.

And yes the edges would roll. So it just depends on what you want to do.

You should be able to get birdseye at most Hancock fabric stores...if you want to go that route. I made a bunch from that some time ago and hemmed the edges. You could always go with diaper flannel too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.