Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do some OB's act like they are on formula companies' payroll?! My sil just had her first child, a daughter, yesterday morning in hospital. She decided during pregnancy that she will be exclusively BFing. Today her OB is <i>already</i> pushing formula! I guess her babe isn't latching on well and giving formula in a bottle is somehow going to help with that. I want to go over there and give him a piece of my mind but I am not taking my babe into the hospital. I'm going to call her and tell her to ask to speak with the hospital LC, if she hasn't already. I had such a terrible time getting BFing going with my son because of formula supplementation and I feel like the hospital staff is going to force her into the same predicament.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Maybe she'd have an easier time getting the baby to latch on if they were at home? Anyway she can get discharged?<br><br>
No, wait, nevermind, that's going to get the OB calling CPS. Your idea about the LC is way better.

·
Registered
663 Posts
That is so frustrating. We have one gastro doc that was consulted for reflux on a baby. ( I work in a NICU) Mom was BF and giving EBM. Instead of starting the baby on zantac and reglan he takes the baby off of EBM and starts Similac Alimentum with rice cereal to thicken it.<br><br>
I had never heard of this formula so I asked the primary neo about it. He said that this is one of the new formulas that similac is promoting and it's very rare that babies really "need" it. It's also extremely expensive. Even if the baby was formula fed, he should have been started on a regular formla with rice cereal or a prethickened formula (enfamil AR) then went from there. Start with the simplest thing than go from there. Instead this doctor (the gastro) was going reasoning that the baby's reflux was being caused by some sort of sensitivity to his mom's milk, instead of starting with the simplest most common cause of reflux and treating that. I'm no doctor but that reasoning (the neo's) just seems like common sense to me.<br><br>
The neonatologist discontinued the formula and baby went back on EBM with reflux meds and the kid did just fine. I'm glad the baby was allowed to continue with mama's milk. Turns out alot of the gastro docs babies were on the same formula. I feel really bad for the parents that had to pay for that thinking that is what their child needed. I'm not saying that there is never a genuine need for a special formula (even over BM), but it's not that common. And in this case I can safely say this doc was over prescribing it. I would also be curious to see what sort of benefit these doctors get for pushing formula products.<br><br>
At our hospital the formula reps are always coming to the unit with freebies (pens, clipboards and what not) and treating the staff to dinners. Our neonatologists don't really seem to pay attention to it. One of our neos said that we do have to have formula availabe but he refuses to promote it. When I was pregnant, the similac rep promised me some free formula it I would recommend it to our new moms who decide to formula feed. I told him I was planning on BF but thanks anyway. He said maybe I would want it "just in case". I said "No thank you, we can buy our own formula if it gets to that point and I don't really know that much about formula to promote one over another" I really wish I would have been more assertive about it, but honestly at the time I was kind of wishy washy on whether or not I wanted to BF.<br><br>
Wow...this is really long and has nothing to do with the OP, (sorry just a rant about docs and promotion of formula...sort of relates I guess) When my baby lost some weight (went from 7lbs 6 oz to 6 14oz) I was encouraged to give a bottle by the nurses (my coworkers!). I just had to be very persistant about it. Very, Very persistant. Sometimes the mother can suggest bringing the baby in for a follow up visit really soon after discharge if the doctors are concerened about the babies weight loss while BF. By then moms milk should have come in. I know mine didn't come in until after I went home (after about 5 days). By my DD 2 week visit she was up to 8lbs 4oz with no help from formula.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts