Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Boston Globe Sunday Magazine published this lovely article, written by a man, not even an ob, but a ped... I can't stomach reading it but look forward to the letters to the editor...

The Mother Lode of Pain
Some women insist on a drug-free childbirth - even though it might be agonizing - while others opt for a numbing epidural. Is this all part of the simmering debate between natural and modern medicine, or are some women embracing labor pain for a more heroic cause?
By Dr. Darshak Sanghavi
July 23, 2006

ON WEDNESDAY, APRIL 7, 1847, Dr. Nathan Keep made his way to the stately house at 105 Brattle Street in Cambridge. The vice president of the American Association of Dental Surgeons and the owner of a thriving dental practice, Dr. Keep had just that day published a seminal monograph on dental anesthesia in the Boston Medical and Surgical Journal, which would later become the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine. Now he planned to take his work one step further....

....Which is why choosing to feel pain during childbirth strikes me as odd. Eliminating pain won't create a sudden existential crisis among mothers, because parenting is too rich an experience. And after all, being born is ultimately the least distinguishing feature of being human; everyone's done it and, moreover, no one remembers it.

Dr. Darshak Sanghavi, an assistant professor of pediatrics at the University of Massachusetts Medical School and the author of A Map of the Child: A Pediatrician's Tour of the Body. E-mail him at [email protected].

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Yeah, I read it earlier actually. I found it ridiculous. Especially because pain is there for a reason! Some women have painless childbirth, others consider it very painful. But so long as they are going naturally, their bodies are communicating with them. I'd so much rather experience labour and have my body tell me what position to get in or when to push than shut down all feeling and have a doctor (who may be wrong for all I know) tell me these things.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
i think it is so funny when men write about something that is a woman's issue and ridicule them for doing it wrong. i think it is jealousy.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yeah that! WHY do MEN write and soapbox about issues that are so uniquely feminine? What the hell does this dude care about pain in labor???? Yes so sad to see his written account of our society's ignorance.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts