Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

· Registered
6,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so conflicted about how best to school my son. I know that there isn't one perfect solution, but I do think there is one that is best given all the options and I don't know what that is. I'm hoping maybe by putting a lot of my issues/concerns out there as questions to you all, that maybe my answer will become more clear.

(1) Do you intend to homeschool through 12th grade?

(2) Do you expect that your children will go to college?

(3) What homeschool ideology (?) do you follow, i.e. Classical, Waldorf, Charlotte Mason....?

(4) Are you happy homeschooling, or is it just the lesser of two evils?

(5) How many children do you have, and do you plan to homeschool them all?

(6) Do you have any children with special needs of any kind?

(7) If your child wanted to go to school would you let him or her?

(8) What are the top 3 reasons you homeschool?

(9) Do you ever intend to work (for pay) again?

Thanks!

· Registered
3,041 Posts
(1) Do you intend to homeschool through 12th grade? Yes.

(2) Do you expect that your children will go to college? I expect them to follow their own paths.

(3) What homeschool ideology (?) do you follow, i.e. Classical, Waldorf, Charlotte Mason....? Unschooling, but not radically.

(4) Are you happy homeschooling, or is it just the lesser of two evils? We're happy. We've been doing it for ten years.

Two. Yes.

(6) Do you have any children with special needs of any kind? No.

(7) If your child wanted to go to school would you let him or her? Probably.

(8) What are the top 3 reasons you homeschool? Freedom, freedom, freedom.

(9) Do you ever intend to work (for pay) again? I work for pay now, and am a part-time college student.

· Registered
4,516 Posts
Yes.

If they want to. I'd like them to do that or have some skill or vocation/

(3) What homeschool ideology (?) do you follow, i.e. Classical, Waldorf, Charlotte Mason....?
Neo-classical with Charlotte Mason influences.

Very happy!

2 and #3 is on the way. And yes.

Yes. My eldest has HFA (although I'm leaning towards ADHD and anxiety more as she ages and we work with her
) and my toddler has a seizure disorder.

No. Not unless they had really compelling reasons. We homeschool for many reasons that I don't know if it's something a child could fully understand. I'm a meanie like that.

Superior education, addressing asynchronous development, and faith.

Maybe part time. We'll see what the future holds.

· Registered
1,417 Posts
I'd love it if both my kids choose to be home all the way through but we take things day by day.

Hmmmm...I expect that they can if they want to but it's not a major priority.

Unschooling.

VERY happy!
:

Two, and yes.

I think it works best to assume that all children's needs are special and should be handled individually.

Yes. My oldest is 8 and has chosen to go to school in the past. He is currently sure he wont ever go again but he can if he'd like.

Greater family bond.
The world is full of amazing things and I want my kids to experience being able to LOVE learning.
Flexibility.

I've worked part-time evenings and weekends all throughout the years. Starting in January I'll be going to school for massage therapy and then working part-time afterwards...so, yes.

· Registered
45,796 Posts
(1) Do you intend to homeschool through 12th grade? I planned to HS each child for as long as he or she needed to do so. I never expected DD1 to want to HS at all, but last year that's what she chose. I fully expected to HS DD2 all the way though 12th grade, but she surprised me this year (well, the end of last year) and chose to go to public school. Both girls start public school tomorrow.

(2) Do you expect that your children will go to college? That's up to them. I expect them to have the academic skills for college, but I also don't want them saddled with student loan debt if they're not going to "use their degrees." We'll look more closely at the options as they approach 11th grade.

(3) What homeschool ideology (?) do you follow, i.e. Classical, Waldorf, Charlotte Mason....? Eclectic. We were "unschoolers" but, over time, I've found that I wanted to impose some "parent led" expectations on what will be learned. I still "lean towards unschooling" but I'm not married to the label, and I just do what works for my family.

(4) Are you happy homeschooling, or is it just the lesser of two evils? With DS, I kind of feel like it's "the lesser of 3 evils"-considering private school, public school, and homeschooling as 3 separate choices. With DD2 it really felt like "the perfect choice", with DD1 it really wasn't a great fit (though we have no regrets about her one year at home). Ask me again in a few months, once I've actually done some learning with DS. I may change my mind and feel like it's the best option all around .

I have 3 children. My first year homeschooling, I pulled DD2 out in the middle of the year and left the other two in school. The next year, I homeschooled her while the other two were in school. Then the next year (last year), I had DD2 and DD1 home with me, and DS remained in school. I wanted to pull him out halfway through the year, but I just felt it would be too much for me if I had all 3 at home, and that NOBODY'S needs would have been met. Had it just been DD2 at home, I wouldn't have hesitated to pull him out in the middle of the year. This year, with DD1 and DD2 both in school, I figured I could give DS my full attention during the school day- plus I was unhappy with his school for a number of reasons, and I'm not convinced another school would be any better for him right now.

(6) Do you have any children with special needs of any kind? Nothing officially diagnosed, but I strongly suspect DD2 has ADD and I think DS may have ADHD (it's hard to say, as he's been on the Feingold Program since DD2 was kinda sorta diagnosed so I don't know how he'd act otherwise.) DD2 definitely had problems learning in a regular school environment, which is why I was so surprised she wanted to return to school. I'm praying she does OK now, being mature enough to understand that "because the teacher wants it done this way" is a reason to do something that otherwise has little value.

(7) If your child wanted to go to school would you let him or her? Read what I posted above.

1) To keep my kids out of a "non Jewish environment" until they've developed their self-identity (teens yes, 7yos, no.)
2) To teach my children at their own level, so they don't get bored by "sitting around when other kids explain things they already understand" or feel frustrated and "stupid" if they're not ready for the things their classmates are doing and that they're expected to do.
3) To save money on private school tuition (see #1 above.)

(9) Do you ever intend to work (for pay) again? No.

· Registered
87 Posts
(1) Do you intend to homeschool through 12th grade?im not sure yet. we just started first grade today, si i have time to decide

(2) Do you expect that your children will go to college?if they choose to

(3) What homeschool ideology (?) do you follow, i.e. Classical, Waldorf, Charlotte Mason....?classical

(4) Are you happy homeschooling, or is it just the lesser of two evils?so far im very happy, but like i said, this is day one

(5) How many children do you have, and do you plan to homeschool them all?i have three, and i imagine they will all be homeschooled

(6) Do you have any children with special needs of any kind?no

(7) If your child wanted to go to school would you let him or her?no, not now. we just pulled our oldest out of ps after being quite horrified by a lot of what we saw

(8) What are the top 3 reasons you homeschool?the ability to tailor an education to each of my children independently, being able to teach a faith based curriculum, and freedom. we will be vacationing in October i think!

(9) Do you ever intend to work (for pay) again?no, im needed at home.

· Registered
3,041 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtomine View Post
(9) Do you ever intend to work (for pay) again?no, im needed at home.
I think it's safe to say that we're all needed at home. However, my kids need to eat....so I work for pay.

· Registered
1,666 Posts
(1) Do you intend to homeschool through 12th grade? Pretty much. We do some outside classes for some things, but it's not in the plan to enroll in a traditional school.

(2) Do you expect that your children will go to college? I will strongly encourage it, and help pay for it.

(3) What homeschool ideology (?) do you follow, i.e. Classical, Waldorf, Charlotte Mason....? We like a lot of things. I very much like some of the elements you see in Waldorf, for the younger crowd, and I also have an appreciation for a lot of what is implied for a classical education.

(4) Are you happy homeschooling, or is it just the lesser of two evils? It's our first choice. It's a lifestyle choice for us.

(5) How many children do you have, and do you plan to homeschool them all? We're expecting our 3rd child this winter, and yes, homeschooling is the first choice for the family.

(6) Do you have any children with special needs of any kind? One child has ADHD, however, it's not much of an "issue" with how we're able to adjust our approach as needed. We had already decided to homeschool before my oldest was school aged, but after she was that age, I realized that I was especially glad we homeschool.

(7) If your child wanted to go to school would you let him or her? I'm a never say never kind of person, but it's not a request I would simply give in to automatically. Such a decision would affect the family as a whole.

(8) What are the top 3 reasons you homeschool? eh, that's hard for me to answer. Honestly, I feel like it's asking why we choose to not use daycare. Daycare and schools are something that I look to when we have a need to use them. When I had a need, I used them. When I don't have such a need, I don't. So I feel like we need a reason To use schools, rather than have a reason to not use schools. But to give reasons why I like the idea of homeschooling when pressed to compare it to a traditional school, and I think about how I enjoy the schedule we get to keep, the lack of restrictions, the efficiency.

(9) Do you ever intend to work (for pay) again? Yes.

· Registered
760 Posts
I will definitely homeschool through 9th grade. We will check out our options for highschool. We may do some classes at school and some at home.

Yes, my eldest (age 11) already says she wants to be a doctor. There will be some type of post-secondary education for all of my children, whether it's university, community college, vocational college, etc

(3) What homeschool ideology (?) do you follow, i.e. Classical, Waldorf, Charlotte Mason....? I guess we are eclectic, but for the last couple of years we have loved Sonlight curriculum. We read a lot, so you can say we're literature based (not sure that is considered an ideology)

Homeschooling is the one thing in my life that I love the most.

Three children: 11yog, 9yog, and 7yob. All homeschooled.

No.

Yes

Family unity, freedom and flexibility, superior education and socialization

Assuming life continues as planned, no.

· Registered
2,892 Posts
I'd love to. I am absolutely willing that but the decision will be one the kids will be involved in, rather than something we will pre-determine.

Do I predict they will? - yes. But again the decision is ultimately theirs to make.

A mix - relaxed eclectic basically.

It has been one of the best things we ever could have done for our family. It is our educational and lifestyle of choice.

Four - we are currently homeschooling them all.

One child has been formally identified as gifted with the possibility of a "learning disability". Another is dyslexic.

Depends on the child, the circumstances, their age, the school. I would actively discourage it before high school, assuming our circumstances remain the same.

Only 3? Freedom, ability to meet my kids' needs (academically, spiritually, socially, physically etc), health reasons (more exercise/fresh air/sleep/life balance), immersion in a real community, a richer more meaningful education, the ability to live out our values.

Yes although I doubt I will return to my former career.

hth
Karen

· Registered
819 Posts
Cool thread!

Yes, I hope so, although I haven't told DH and my parents yet. They all seem supportive, so I'm sure it will be no problem.

Really hoping so! But we will support anything they choose.

Eclectic (in order): Neoclassical, Charlotte Mason, some unit studies

I am ECSTATIC, probably abnormally so!
:

1 4.75 year old girl, hopefully 1-2 more, I plan to homeschool them all.

No.

Yes, although I'm hoping they won't want to!

1. Want to instill passion in learning
  2. I think I make a good teacher and I love it.
  3. I love to learn myself!
After I bring up my children, I have some options, I could do web programming (work from home), photography, or whatever else I'm into at the moment. I currently don't have to work, and kinda hoping it stays that way though.

· Registered
5,264 Posts
are you trying to give me heart palpitations?
seriously, i just take it day by day. it keeps me sane.

yes.

eclectic, but i lean toward charlotte mason lately.

we love it!

2 children. yep.

my son is hyperactive, but i don't see that as an issue for homeschooling.

depending on the circumstances, sure. i want them to be happy & i invite their input about school as they get older (key word: older).

1) my kids can learn on a timetable that is stress-free 2) family preservation 3) flexibility

sure. i have a degree in social work. i'd love to use it again down the road!

· Registered
43,104 Posts
yes... but I don't see it as one grade a year. I intent to homeschool until my kids are ready for college or other "post high school" training or education.

If they wish.

I call myself an eclectic, relaxed, unschooler
I am an unschooler at heart, but I have a kid who loves workbooks and flashcards.

I am happy homeschooling. But I would love it if there were better school options also.

Two so far, but we plan for 4ish.

Probably. Currently unidentified. I expect dd is gt with some learning disabilities.

Depending on the age and maturity of the child, what school options were available - yes.

Schedule (I don't think children should be at a desk 8 hours a day, 10 months a year)
Educational opportunities (my kids can learn at their own pace)
Money (can't afford private schools I would consider)

I work part time now and plan to work full time again when the kids are teens (plan to get a masters and maybe phd first...)

-Angela

· Registered
1,206 Posts
Plan to homeschool all the way, though I don't use grades.

No expectations. I loved college but envision my kids being too busy by then to go . . .

Unschooling

Even if schools were perfect, I would want to homeschool!

#2 due in Dec, plan to have lots more, and yes to keeping them all out of school!

Not beyond individuality.

I hope to keep them home but I suppose I'll have to re-examine that if it comes up seriously.

1. Love raising my kids and watching them learn--won't give that job up to someone else if I don't have to!
2. No limits on learning; superior education.
3. I don't want them to have to wait until they graduate to do what they want to do.

I have a home business that is not yet profitable, but I do work at it
I'd like to get it profitable enough to bring my husband home from his job so our whole family can be homeschooling/homeworking together and my kids would be involved in the business too, which I think would make for some great education!
Also, there are a ton of artistic type things I would like to work on and sell like novels and childrens books because it's a dream, not because we need money (hopefully)!

Thanks!

· Registered
632 Posts
It depends if the kids decide to go to high school. I'm in it for the long run, though.

I expect they would want to. But you never know.

Unschooling Charlotte Mason

Extremely happy. It's the best decision we've ever made.

3 children. Oldest child was homeschooled for only 8th grade with full intention of returning to school. She's in 11th grade now. Middle child chose homeschooling after I presented the idea to her 5 years ago (she was bored and indifferent at gifted school). She'll be auditioning for several performing arts high schools in a few months. Youngest is 8 and right now has no plans to return to school. He did 2 years of preschool and that was enough for him.

One is gifted and one is (undiagnosed, but I have no doubts) dyslexic.

Yep. Although I do suggest waiting until high school.

Freedom, Choice, Opportunities

I work evenings 20 hours a week for the cable company. The schedule works perfectly for us.

· Registered
1,703 Posts
We'll homeschool as long as it works for our family.

If doing so will help them meet their life goals.

Eclectic/Charlotte Mason/Classical. At the moment, anyways.

Both? We're certainly not unhappy with it, but I'd prefer to feel enthusiastic about sending him to school.

At the moment we have two, and intend to homeschool them both.

Nothing severe enough to have been identified at this young an age (my oldest is 6).

Depends on when, and his reasoning. He did want to go to school in Kindergarten, so we found a compromise - a homeschooling program run through the school district that provides workshops a few times a week. We may make an executive decision and transfer him to a charter that offers better resources. However, if the independent study program had not been available, we still would have homeschooled despite his wishes. When he's old enough to have a better understanding of the reality of school, we'll be more likely to let him make the decision.

Both DH and I had bad experiences, academically and socially, in public schools. Homeschooling is better able to meet individualized needs. We think public school offers inappropriate socialization.

I very much hope to have a full-time paying job within a year, and anticipate continuing to work to some extent or another based on our family and financial needs, from now on. DH works from home, and will probably continue to do so, though somewhat less once I get a job.

· Registered
299 Posts
I really like reading all the other answers.

Yes

Some probably will, I will support but not push it.

Eclectic here also.

Extremely happy
:

7, all will be homeschooled

Yes, one with sensory issues

No

religious beliefs, family unity, and flexibilty

It is not anywhere on my radar at the moment, though I am not opposed.

· Registered
2,793 Posts
If that's the best way to go at the time, then yes. If we think that high school would be the best option at the time, then I'm okay with that too.

Probably. If they choose to. Are you concerned about homeschool admission for college? Because that really is a non-issue for 99% of universities/colleges these days.

Very eclectic. Lots of Montessori influence on the younger. Lots of Charlotte Mason influence with the elder. Fairly heavily scheduled to suit DS's temperament, he's much happier scheduled than free-floating. But always tempered with unschooling understanding.

Interesting question. With DS's issues (see below), homeschooling is not always cheery-happy-let's-all-sing-kumbayah. Sometimes I confess, I have considered sending him to school and letting THEM deal with him. But I know that would not actually be any better for him. And those are just the bad days, and we all have bad days, whatever our schooling choices. On the whole, we're very happy, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Two. DS 11, and DD 2. Neither has even been to school, nor will they be... at least for a long, long time!

DS is ADHD, sensory issues (sensory-seeking), and maybe mildly Asperger's. He's also gifted and very asynchronous, emotionally immature with low motivation, self-direction, self-regulation, and self-esteem. DD so far seems neurologically normal, but is already showing signs of giftedness. Yes, I think "giftedness" is very often a "special need", one not adequately met in most public schools.

Yes, once they were of sufficient age and maturity to truly understand the implications, the pros and cons, and once their personalities were strong and formed enough to be able to withstand the negative influences they would surely be exposed to. ie, loss of love of learning to do working-towards-the-test or the gold star, not just "peer pressure" stuff. Before that point, no. You could just as well ask a public school supporting family, "would you let your child stay at home simply because they wanted to." 99% of the time you will get a resounding NO! "They are not mature enough yet to make that decision on their own".

I liked the "freedom, freedom, freedom" answer. Also the 'meeting asynchronous needs' answer. How about, I'm learning much more about my children this way? I'm learning lots myself that I never learned in public school? My children are not peer-dependent? Oh, is that more than 3? Shoot, I could even keep going...

I still do work for pay. I'm a community band director and (hopefully, just applied) a church organist/choir director. It's not 40 hours full-time salary, but it's good money for minimal time commitment. I've never had a 40-hr typical job anyway, nor do I want one. Not my thing. Anyway, working and homeschooling are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

· Registered
461 Posts

Yes, I do! Although I would love it if my kids took some of their courses at a community college so they could get their feet wet with that and also have access to things like science labs, specialty software, etc or whatever they are interested in/need credits for

Probably. I will certainly encourage it and will probably get them into some college courses prior to graduating high school as dual enrollment credits. If they end up doing a trade instead, I'll be fine with that though.

I'd love to be purely Classical, but it's not practical for my family at this time. I'm eclectic, with a lean into Classical.

I love it and decided to homeschool right before taking myself out of a teacher certification program while I was getting my BA. I was 1/2 semester and student teaching away from getting certified when I realized that i had NO desire for my kids to be in that system, let alone myself!

2, with #3 due in 2 weeks. Yes, I will homeschool them all.

Not that we're aware of.

Certainly not public... I might consider private, but I feel pretty confident in homeschooling as the best choice for us.

-Quality time with my kids.
-No pressure to teach to the standardized tests.
-They move at their own pace, not at the pace that a teacher bogged down with 25 other students can manage to accomplish.

Absolutely. I would love to either be a midwife's assistant, a doula on a more full time basis, or a lactation consultant.
I'm a certified doula, a massage therapist and have my BA in Child & Family Studies, and I try and work on occasion to keep my skills and experience fresh anyway.
I love it.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.