Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I have a question about tubs. My ds is 5 mo and in that in-between stage where he's outgrown his baby tub, but can't really be in the regular tub. I say this because he can't sit up, so I'm constantly trying to hold him, therefore not allowing me to get any soap on him. I don't want to buy another little tub to use for only a few months. Would you suggest the sink? Also, I'd like to bathe with him, but how in the heck do you get you and your baby out and dry without dropping them?

Also, I'm thinking it might be time to move ds to the crib.
I do like co-sleeping, but I am so uncomfortable (he smooshes himself into me and I'm afraid he'll smother himself) and I frequently wake him up with my moving. Plus, we both sweat all night (our bed holds in heat). What do you think? Any suggestions? I've been so tired lately from all the tossing and turning.

Thanks ladies!

Wendi

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Bathing babies in the kitchen sink gives you good leverage

Bathing with baby:
first off, have a no-slip mat in the tub
set several towels on the floor by the tub
get in, bathe
take out baby carefully, I used to need to get up on my knees a bit to lean out, put her in towel on floor or in baby seat while you dry off. If you set baby into a seat, you won't need to bend so far down over the side of the tub.
dry baby and go!

about the co-sleeping - I don't think you're going to get a lot more rest with baby in the crib. I assume he's still nursing? Getting up to nurse is a pita!

It definitely roused my babies when I'd move in bed, so I like having the mattress on the floor and the baby on a firm surface of some kind right next to the bed. A cosleeper thing (like the arm's reach) might also work. I pull him up to nurse but can put him back there if necessary. Also, a futon doesn't shake like a normal bed, so if you want to consider that, you won't wake him when you move.

And if you have a crib to use, but you really like the idea of keeping your baby with you, try pulling the crib up to the side of the bed with one rail down, so you're using the crib as a sidecar. Same thing - you have more space so you're not so hot and don't disturb him when you roll over.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
my DH showers with DD, that is how we bathe her, really easy and no need for a tub of any kind!

·
Registered
458 Posts
i second the side-car crib idea. i'd still say we cosleep, but having the crib next to the bed just extends the bed so we all have enough room to sleep. we bought some trucker straps (ratchet straps? something like that) to attach the crib to our bed from underneath and took one side off the crib. now we have one big bed/crib unit. nursing is easy as pie this way. usually she stays in the crib part, but sometimes she sleeps between dp and i.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm having the same sleeping issues with my 4-mo. old, plus DH has almost smooshed him several times -- just not aware of him like I am. A queen bed just isn't big enough for the 3 of us at this point. We're going to try the side-car crib thing.

I also second the showering -- we do it when both of us are home -- one will "shower the baby" -- works really well when sitting down in the tub with the baby, and then will yell for the other one to take him out so the "showerer" can finish his/her shower. I much prefer this to the bathing, and the baby loves it!

Mary

·
Premium Member
14,874 Posts
:

We showerd with dd during thoes months, or I stuck her in the kitchen sink. Dh showered with during the times she hated the water/bathing.

I also second the sidecar. We've had our bed like that for a few months. Although, I think I'm ready to stop co-sleeping. It is no longer Mutually Desired. I am not sleeping as well, and she doesn't always.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Good instructions for the bath above, here's what I do when I'm on my own (my favorite way is to hand the wet baby out to dh to dry
)

Get undressed and gather towels by tub. fill tub. Undress baby, get in. Bathe as needed. Pick up baby and stand up and get out. Wrap towel around both and dry as needed.

As far as the bed- I'd keep him in your bed. Do you have a celing fan? I find ours helps a LOT.

-Angela

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I have bathed DD now 4 months (almost) in the big tub since birth. If DD is in there I will have her "help" get the soap, etc. If its just baby then I just put a few inches of water in the tub and hold her head with my hand. the rest of her body just floats. She LOVES to have the tub really full and me hold her like that. Has loved it since birth. She just floats around and has this really relaxed look on her face. As for getting soap I just have everthing handy ahead of time.

Allison

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
when i would give ds a bath alone, i use his bouncy seat covered in a towel, put him on it, get in, pick him up........oppisite to get out.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
I like the suggesstion about putting towels on the floor and a not slip matt in the tub, and setting her on the towels while you get out. Its pretty easy to sit baby between your legs in the tub. Your legs can kind of hold them up so you can wash them. They can lean into you if needed.

I moved my dd to the tub at 6 months old. I was worried she would be afraid of the big tub if I waited much longer. I started with her baby tub in the big tub. I also have one of those plastic thingy's that helps baby to sit up and it sticks to the bottom of the tub, but I don't recommend one. I only used it a few times. It was super easy to wash her and she was happy in it, but she would hold onto it for dear life and scream when I tried to lift her out of the bath.

She sits on her own in the bath now and has a good time splashing around, until I take her out. She screams like I am torturing her. I guess its good she loves her baths so much, instead of hating them.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
We usually take showers.
ANd ditto the others' replies about sidecarring, etc.

·
Registered
308 Posts
When my ds was that age I started bathing him in the big tub. As the pp said, I just put an inch or two of water in there. I also put a towel in the tub underneath him so he wasn't lying on the hard tub floor. He LOVED it, kicking and splashing and all that.

-Joan

·
Premium Member
15,484 Posts
On co-sleeping - you'll get a lot more sleep with your baby with you than somewhere else. Lots of good ideas here. When DS1 was about 15 months, we added a twin next to our full (both beds on the floor) where he slept and did that until this past March (he was 3-1/2). DS2 just stays beside me. Nursing while sleeping is soooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than having to get up.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Great directions on taking a bath with the baby. I've also started using a water sling in the shower, which is the only way I've figured out how to wash my hair and bathe the baby when dh isn't home to help.

Sidcarring the crib has been fantastic for us! It's just like an extension of your bed, with the added bonus of being a tiny bit less sweaty. (although my ds typically scootches himself right over so we're snuggling.)

Here are directions for sidecarring a crib (click orange download button in bottom right corner): http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=3399896

·
Registered
138 Posts
I hate to say it -- but I'm all for the crib. Might take a bit to get your baby to accept it, but I get tons more sleep now that DD is in her own room. She is happy in there now and makes lots of cooing and laughing to herself to wake us. Just saying don't feel totally guilty about the move at this age.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
well, I don't think anyone needs to feel guilty - just saying, with my babies, the crib would have meant a lot LESS sleep for me. They went through periods of weeks or sometimes a couple months when they'd sleep long stretches, but it didn't last. They needed to nurse at night, basically, for two years. That was much easier when we were in the same room

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you ladies for all of your replies. Funny, I never even thought of putting towels down on the floor and laying him down. I would get out of the bath, both him and me dripping wet and stand there wondering how in the heck I'm going to do this. I usually just ended up air-drying.

I will have to pull out the old co-sleeper and give it another spin. I think the long stretch that he does (from about 10-3am) would be good for the co-sleeper and then the rest of the night he can have the boob at will....that's usually when he seems to constantly need it. I would like to put him in his crib next to the bed, but my dad bought us one of those really expensive cribs that don't have a side that drops down. It's just all wood. I agree, though, that getting up would be far more tiresome than having him snuggle up against me all night.

Thanks again!
Wendi

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
i picked up a circle bath seat at a yard sale for a buck. very handy... especially since i stick her in it , my 3 yr old is in the tub- and i am showering. she loves it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My baby is only 11 weeks old, but I have found that a combination of sleeping in the basinet/pack n' play at the end of our bed and co-sleeping at 3am (or later wake up time) until I rise works great for me. I get a few hours of "hard" wreckless sleep and then more lucid hours w/ baby nursing at leisure. He is really happy when we get up in the morning and so am I! I am not sure how this will play out developmentally, but I would like to see him go 8 hours w/out nursing when he is older. If that happens, I will move him into his bedroom around 6 months but let's see how reality plays out! I think there is a lot of guilt placed on us around not completely co-sleeping, but I think you as a mother have to decide what works for the baby developmentally/emotionally and your family. Maybe you can try 1/2 and 1/2 b/c the morning wake time will gradually get later, I think??
:
:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.