Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I knew about cycles and charting and whatnot but after having ds my cycle days vary greatly....30-41 days. More recently they are getting shorter and closer to my normal 28 day cycle. My average now is about 35 days. I read in another post that cycle lengths can change but not the luetal phase unless I'm using herbs or creams which I'm not. I've been ttc for 5 months now and I've tried opks that come up positive after I ovulate not before and wasthinkin if I could figure this out it could help me identify my fertile week better.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I read luteal phase begins with ovulation and ends when you get your period. 10 days or less can be a problem. Think usually it is 12 -16 days long depending on person. I guess when your cycle is longer, it's supposed to mean you ovulated later than usual if the luteal phase is supposed to stay about the same.

I've tried opks that come up positive after I ovulate not before
I thought OPK's get positive 12-36 hours prior to ovulation b/c that is when the LH is surging... that hormone that makes you release the egg. I heard you can have more than one pos OPK if you surge and for some reason the egg is not released, you try to re-surge to release the egg. I thought after you ovulate, the LH hormone levels are going down so you won't have a positive result, though you may still see the 2 lines- one will be lighter therefore a negative test. Do you know you ovulated b/c temp and cervical mucus or because of a fertility monitor?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I guess that Im making a good guess I am ovulating before I get a pos opk because of ewcm about 4 days before a pos opk test plus O pain. I just feel it. I got a fertility monitor that I am going to start using next month so hopefully it can confirm that.

·
Registered
312 Posts
EWCM can start a number of days before O and often starts to disappear by actual O time, and O pains are not reliable as they can happen in the days before O as the follicles are developing, during O, or even after the egg has been released. I doubt you are Oing before your first +OPK...they detect the surge in hormone that preceeds ovulation. As previous poster said, 1st +OPK is generally 12-36 before O actually happens. If you were temp charting you could confirm (to a better degree) when O is happening.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info. ya the ewcm and opks are throwing me off. this month I didnt even get a pos... i did switch brands though so maybe it was that. I am temping with my fertility monitor I just gotta put in on fertilityfriend.com. Ill try and post that with the link to my chart and maybe yall can take a look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.