Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm losing my mind. My baby is over a year old. This has been happening since she was FOUR months old so I can no longer give the general excuses of development, teething, whatever. If I pick up the baby, she WILL NOT sleep (unless she exhausts herself which is not good).
The baby rolls and rolls and flops and moves all over the bed. She is completely restless. If she sleeps and I dare move, she wakes up. If she sleeps and I don't move, she just keeps flopping and rolling (which wakes her up). My sleep (our sleep) is like 30 minutes here, 20 there, 10 here, an hour here, etc. all night, every night. I'm freaking exhausted. I'm a single mom and I'm trying to be attached as much as possible but I cannot figure out what to do. I get so irritated that she won't just sleep.
Someone help... it won't help to say she could be going through a development stage (she's been doing this for over 8 months now). It isn't teething, she isn't sick. She rolls and rolls and rolls on top of me and I spend half my night rearranging her after she rolls everywhere and trying to keep her from falling off the bed... those guard rails only "guard" so many inches.

OK - she is up now and I'm just so blooming irritated. Sorry for venting. Of to carrying her around the house AGAIN while I shut the house down. She'll scream and complain the whole way but she screams and complains if I leave her in the bed and I don't believe in CIO.

She does this with music on, she does this with music off.

Can you tell I feel like I've exhausted every trick? Someone give me some more options. I'm losing my mind!

Sorry for the vent and the stream here -- I'm not even thinking of editing this to make cohesive paragraphs. I'd rather get some rest.... HA, as if that will happen!

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
898 Posts
when both my kids got to the rolling stage I put a double futon on the floor next to our queen bed. then put foam/pillows around in (btw wall and futon) and made a giant "bed rail" to put at the end of the futon. So its like giant crib. I can sleep in it with her when need be. She still nurses a few times in the night so I just roll off my bed, into hers, then after she falls asleep I climb back into my bed. The idea of cuddling with your children all night long, while everyone sleeps peaceful and dreams sweet dreams sounds so wonderful. I just don't think its a reality for most parents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 3 kids and only one of them could sleep in my bed at this age. The other 2 were just all over the bed. My daughter (13 months now) has had her own bed since she was 5 or 6 months, but I put it in my room so she can see me if she wakes up. Her older brothers (3 and 4 yrs)however sleep in our bed almost every night and its making me pretty tired these days

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YinYang View Post
She rolls and rolls and rolls on top of me and I spend half my night rearranging her after she rolls everywhere and trying to keep her from falling off the bed...

I am laughing with tears in my eyes, vividly remembering this scenario with my own spirited baby daughter at one year old and as a single mama. She's 12 now.

Here's some things that worked for us (and still work):

A - Really long body pillow like the therapeutic kind.
B - Lavender and Chamomile oils for the pillows. . the blankets. . her dollies.

C - Rescue Remedy for you both.
D - Give as much rhythm as possible to the bedtime routine (i.e. candles and baths are awesome!)
D - Carving out generous bedtime hours for you both so that your sleep quantity can make up for the lost sleep quality (to make sure you're getting enough sleep to deal with this!)

This too shall pass, mama. And, in my experience, for this you will be all the more faceted. More than you ever could have imagined.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.