Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In about a month, I am going to start to make up some diapers for my daughter from the CuddleBuns pattern I bought recently. (I am moving in exactly 3 weeks, or I'd start before then).

I have already packed up my pattern, so I need help to figure out what I need and how much.

My plans (so far, and subject to change) :
  • 12 bikini cut CBs , serged
  • made to be "quick-dry", so no internal soaker (trifold soaker - either 2 layer hemp fleece, or 2 layer sherpa)
  • using the 12 bikini cut outers I should soon recieve
  • I'm going to leave the fold-down snaps off (for now, I may add them later)
I have 11 cuts of hemp fleece (approx 11 x 20) to use.

I would like to use sherpa - it's SO soft.

Now, I need to know
  • how much Sherpa do I need for 12 diapers (figuring 1 body layer of sherpa and a 2-layer trifold soaker)
  • how much interlock do I need for a hidden layer for 12 diapers, do I NEED a hidden layer ?
  • how many snaps do I need for 12 diapers (total, with fold-down snaps included)
Any flaws in my plan ?
Any suggestions ?
Any other notions needed besides thread ?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'm sure someone will come along and be way more help than me!!!

By laying the pattern together *right side up, upside-down, right side up* you can usually get 3 diaper pieces per width of your fabric (assuming 60" wide fabric) and the inbetween pieces are good for doublers. I don't have a cuddlebun pattern so I don't really know for sure ... I would guess the height is 22"??

If you are doing the tri-fold outer soaker, you don't really need a hidden layer. I don't think your hemp pieces are going to be big enough for the diapers... were you planning on using those for the tri-fold soaker?

You're going to need thread and elastic/lastin. If you are doing the fancy stitch up the middle... you need a double needle.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay - the pattern is already packed, so I can't measure it right now. But I agree that the hemp pieces won't be big enough for a diaper body piece.
I thought they would be good to use as the soaker pieces. Some diapers will have 2 layers of hemp fleece (5), 1 diaper will have to have 1 hemp/1 sherpa (1) and 6 will have to have something else - maybe 2 layers of sherpa ?

Thread and lastin are easy for me to get, I'm more concerned about getting enough fabric to do a dozen diapers right from the start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.