Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last batch of raw milk yogurt completely separated from the whey! The only thing I did differently was forget about it...it was left to culture for a day and a half rather than a day. I think I've done that before though, and this has never happened. I'm never very consistent on my yogurt-culturing time.

I'm not complaining, because I actually like the resulting yogurt; it made a nice Greek-style yogurt, and then I added in a small amount of whey to my tasting to make it a bit creamier. Does anyone know why this separation might have happened, and how can I do it again? I have been searching for an easy way to strain some of the whey out of my yogurt, so this method (whatever it is), if I can duplicate it, is perfect.

I have to say though that the yogurt to whey ratio is a little shocking; out of a half gallon jar, I'd say slightly over half was whey!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I've had something similar happen when the culture was either kept somewhere too warm (in my case, too close to a crock pot) or cultured for too long. If you want to repeat it, I'd recommend just letting it culture a long time rather than exposing it to too much heat which can kill the culture.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.