Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mr. Super-Curious 2 year old here, is on a quest for 'something new'. He's really into working with new things all the time. He's gone thru all the tools in the garage, all my sewing and crafting gear, all the games, all the tools in the kitchen, binoculars, telescope, everything in our yard and at the park, pretty much everything that's in storage, etc etc etc. We're pretty much out of new things for him to explore, investigate, discover.<br><br>
I'd like to try to teach him the value of appreciating what we already have. That it doesnt need to be 'new' to be of value. But he seems to need the stimulation of 'new things'. I try to steer him towards his open ended toys, but he wants 'something new'.<br><br>
Is this a stage that other wee ones go thru? I have 8 younger siblings, but i dont remember any of them doing anything like this.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does he like to make things?<br><br>
you could give him some raw materials and let him make something new..<br><br>
rock candy is easy....<br><br>
i'm blanking here but maybe make a birdhouse or put peanut butter on a pine cone and roll it in bird seed... write his new book make a coloring book?<br><br>
just some suggestions

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are good ideas! I'll give it a whirl and see how it goes.<br><br>
I think this obsession with 'need something new' is going to last for a while yet, especially the 'need new tool, garage door' (which translated means, c'mon mom, there's gotta be at least one new tool in the garage that i havent seen yet!! let's go back out there and check)

·
Registered
125 Posts
i just thought of something else.. you could sprout some seeds and plant them in the garden<br><br>
soak a paper towel and then put seeds in it.. (lima beans sprout quickly) and then refrigerate them in a platic zipper baggie overnight... and then tape the whole thing to a window at his eye level and he can watch it grow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts