Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with a friend about circ tonight. She said she would get any of her sons (she only has daughters so far) circ'd. WHY?

Because, and I quote, "It'd pretty much guarantee them not to get penile cancer"
:
:
: Not to mention, "I know he'd be happy I had him done later on"
:

I of course spoke up about that "tid bit" of misinformation. But I am sure it went in one ear and out the other.

I just want to cry sometimes. What some believe is just sad and disheartening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,332 Posts

It can be so hard sometimes...especially with how tenaciously some people cling to their beliefs


Hopefully you planted a seed though; you never know for sure
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,757 Posts
What about all the men who are happy they were left intact or those who are angry because they were not left intact??? Assuming how someone you haven't even met yet will feel about being circumcised 20 years after the fact is an uber-assumption. Makes an uber-ass out of the one assuming...

love and peace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by trmpetplaya
What about all the men who are happy they were left intact or those who are angry because they were not left intact??? Assuming how someone you haven't even met yet will feel about being circumcised 20 years after the fact is an uber-assumption. Makes an uber-ass out of the one assuming...

love and peace.

Thank you both! But yes, I agree. My DH was circ'd, and even before we did any research on circ'ing - he told me he wished his Mom had opted not to get him done. Upon further questioning, he said he believes he lacks just a BIT of feeling down there due to having it done. Of course it's difficult to say, but I do believe he knows for the most part that it was due to that probably.


That was a hug deciding factor in why we didn't circ our sons. Of course the research helped us realize circ'ing was not something we needed to do to our boys at all!
:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
Oh man. It boggles my mind how people justify circumcision as preventative medicine. Seriously, we don't cut off any other part of the body on the off chance we might end up with cancer or any other type of issue or disease, yet for some reason it is seen as "the right thing to do" when it comes to the foreskin.

I'm so sorry, I hope you are feeling a little bit better. Ignorance is seriously one of the most hard things to fight on any topic because it's just so hard to get people to open their mind to the possibility they may not really know what the are talking about.

Sigh...........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,710 Posts
Can you send her links on all the other types of cancer any boy or man is far more likely to get. She need to know that men get breast cancer more often than penile cancer. She needs to know which parts to cut off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,412 Posts
I hope what you said at least gave her something to think about.

"Penile cancer risk" was the reason my DP's mom had him and his two brothers circumcised. She said the hospital told her that circumcision would keep them from getting it. Well, who doesn't want to save their kid from cancer? It's just incredible to me that they can present it in such a positive light, and not say one word about the negatives to removing the foreskin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,332 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lula's Mom
"Penile cancer risk" was the reason my DP's mom had him and his two brothers circumcised. She said the hospital told her that circumcision would keep them from getting it. Well, who doesn't want to save their kid from cancer? It's just incredible to me that they can present it in such a positive light, and not say one word about the negatives to removing the foreskin.
Yep, that's why MIL had DH and his brother circ'd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadkitty
Can you send her links on all the other types of cancer any boy or man is far more likely to get. She need to know that men get breast cancer more often than penile cancer. She needs to know which parts to cut off.

Most of the reading I did on everything involving circ was 2-3 years ago. So if there is a link, please show me? I see the massive number of links stickied, but it's hard to go through all of them sometimes.

I did point out that fact though. I am sure it won't matter. She is saying how she is doing what she can to prevent cancer in her children.
:

I'm curious now if this is why MIL had my DH and brother in law done as well. I may just ask her tonight when I see her. (Keep in mind this is the woman that gets embarassed when my toddlers point out her boobs! LOL)
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top