Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seriously doubt anyone will be able to reply to this in time. It's worth a shot though.


I am currently recovering from the shingles. Came down with it over Labor Day weekend. I was able to start Valtrex immediately and kept my shingles patches covered. It was a relatively mild case. I know that I can give chickenpox to those who have not had it or the vaccine, but only if someone actually touches the active blisters. I am 99.9% sure my kids never touched them. DD has had one does of the varicella vaccine. DS has not.


Fast forward to today. My daughter woke up this morning with a bad sore throat and some nasal congestion. I called my son's ENT out of concern that if she is contagious with a cold, he might get it and complicate his recovery from the tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy he is scheduled for... tomorrow morning. They said it shouldn't be a problem. Later on, the Surgery Center calls to give me instructions and a time to arrive. I tell them about DD and that I had already spoken with ENT and that we are proceeding as scheduled. No problem. Then the nurse goes over medical history and one of the questions was... has your son been exposed to tuberculosis or chicken pox recently? I said no. We finish the call, all is well. Fast forward to tonight. After running errands in preparation for tomorrow, DD plunks down on couch and says she is cold. Took her temperature and bang... low grade fever. At that moment, it clicked. Could I have given her the chickenpox? She is having the classic symptoms short of presenting with an itchy rash. I am scared to death she has it because if she does, then for sure my son will too. He is totally asymptomatic of anything at this time. I wish I wasn't so distracted this morning when talking to surgery center nurse that I failed to mention my shingles. Stupid.


So, I am out of time re: tomorrow. Should I cancel the surgery in the morning? My DD started the fever after everyone's office hours tonight. There is nothing I can do until tomorrow early morning. If I cancel the surgery, this will be the second time. DS was originally scheduled a month ago, but got a bad case of the croup 4 days before, which caused me to cancel the first surgery. I am so upset and don't know what to do. My mother, who is a nurse, seems to think it is totally coincidental that my DD is sick and has nothing to do with my shingles. I can't say that I agree. There are too many coincidences. My husband just wants me to make a decision. I hate to cancel incredibly last minute, but I will be tortured if DD has chickenpox, then during his recovery, DS gets it, and then on top of that, I will be freaking out that he may have brought it to the surgery center. I am a basket case over this. I am leaning towards calling them first thing in the morning and cancelling. My son needs this surgery and I hate to change it again. The timing is terrible. I wish this all happened last week so at least I could know whether or not DD actually has chickenpox. If she does she still has a few days (according to research) to present with the rash. I don't have a few days. Ugh. Any advice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Id cancel 100%. The hospitals ask those questions for a reason. Some of it pertains to liability and others to the health of your child being able to recover properly. Being that hes having a tonsils removed, they play a role in immune function for the throat.Some swelling very large anytime a kid gets sick as you probably already know. However, you dont want to be removing bodily organs and trying to recover from that and possibly chickenpox. Its senarios like that that lead to complications of a typically mild disease like cp.

Dont beat yourself up over cancelling again. You arent accountable to the drs. They're used to cancellations and would understand as life happens all the time. From their perspective thats just it and move on.It doesnt ruin their day or mess things up.Im sure theyd rather your child be healthy and recover than do a risky procedure for the sake of not canelling.

Listen to your intuition. Personally, id cancel first thing AM so they can adjust their scheduling accordingly and just explain the situation with your daughters possible cp progression,your shingles, and ds vax status. Cancelling makes perfect sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Id cancel 100%. The hospitals ask those questions for a reason. Some of it pertains to liability and others to the health of your child being able to recover properly. Being that hes having a tonsils removed, they play a role in immune function for the throat.Some swelling very large anytime a kid gets sick as you probably already know. However, you dont want to be removing bodily organs and trying to recover from that and possibly chickenpox. Its senarios like that that lead to complications of a typically mild disease like cp.

Dont beat yourself up over cancelling again. You arent accountable to the drs. They're used to cancellations and would understand as life happens all the time. From their perspective thats just it and move on.It doesnt ruin their day or mess things up.Im sure theyd rather your child be healthy and recover than do a risky procedure for the sake of not canelling.

Listen to your intuition. Personally, id cancel first thing AM so they can adjust their scheduling accordingly and just explain the situation with your daughters possible cp progression,your shingles, and ds vax status. Cancelling makes perfect sense.
I called the surgery center early this morning and told them what was up. The nurse spoke with the doctors and they don't seem to be concerned about anything and told me that we can proceed as scheduled. So, DH and DS are on their way. DS is completely asymptomatic.


I have been up since 230 am stressing over this. I decided that I would leave the ball in the professionals' court, and let them have the final say as to cancel or not. I'm really glad they didn't, but would have been ok with it if they canceled. The last two years have been rough on DS and I am just happy now that his quality of life will improve with this surgery. One of the things that got me so upset was that we had to reschedule the first surgery because of illness, and the possibility we would have to do it again was really a letdown. This is not new for us. Earlier this year, my DD had surgery too. Her original surgery date had to be rescheduled because of illness too!!! We have the worst luck!!!


BTW, DD is still not exhibiting a CP rash. She still is warm though, but otherwise ok. Stuffy nose has gotten worse. Maybe she just has a benign viral thing, after all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Boy, sounds like you all could use a vacation.I cant imagine the stress😞. Well i do hope all is well and you all heal up ❤
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top