Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are some that have mentioned that they chose Sonlight even though they are not religious (or do not practice Christianity). I just got the curriculum catalog in the mail and am wondering how easy it was to leave the religious parts out? It seems very Christian-focused and while I'm not against exposing my sons to that, I don't want to have an education for them through that particular lens for my own reasons. Did you just use parts of it? Did you find it thoroughly covered topics that might go against Christian philosophy?

I'm looking at this and classical education right now as they seem to be closest to the philosophy of education I want our family to follow for now. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
From what I've heard (and seen) it's pretty easy to remove the Christian content in the early cores by not doing the bible and being careful about checking out the readers and science.

We attempted Core 6 history last year and had a difficult time removing the religion. Some of the books seemed OK, but had a decidedly Christian slant to them.

For instance Flame Over Tara was advertised as "The story of a fourteen year old girl in Ireland whose safe and comfortable life is turned upside down. Her plans to return home and get married are disrupted by the arrival of St. Patrick, whose new ideas make her question her Druid upbringing. She must decide if she wants her old, comfortable life, or to follow the new ideas of this warm, humorous Bishop from Rome."

Sounds pretty balanced when you read the description, however I found it very pro St Patrick and very anti Druid. They even used words like *dark magic* (or something similar-I no longer have the book). It was more about how this girl truly wanted to become Christian and her family wouldn't let her
:

Having said that, I did like a lot of the books and I liked the map work.

There is a Yahoo group called Sonlight Secular that could be a help here.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
I agree, it's very easy to remove the religious content from the younger cores. Just take out the bible and a few of the overtly-religious read alouds, and you're set. We've done SL science for K & 1, and I can't remember anything religious in those parts of the curriculum either. At least in the early cores, many of the science books are Usborne books.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This information helps me a lot and gave me an idea for other places to look as well. I'm spending the next few months researching and then plan to start ordering curriculum next Spring and spread out the orders (so I'm not hit with a big bill all at once.) This board is by far superior in knowledge and experience! I appreciate you guys so much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts