Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to continuous construction at my son Jack's school, today is day 75 of virtual learning. Being inside 6 hours straight on a laptop will understandably ware you out enough to want to do much of anything outdoors, but in the past 2 1/2 months, Jack's packed on some serious pudge.

In the past, he's been more of a sportsman, and a few days before virtual he went to the doctor and weighed in at 97 pounds, 5'1. A bit small for a 14-year-old, but at a healthy BMI of 18. Yesterday, he decided he wanted to weigh himself, and he was 115 (5'2). Now, I know I'm dealing with a growing boy, and that a BMI of 21 is still healthy, but he's definitely past looking filled-out. He's got a pot belly now, and his hips are obviously much wider. He went up a size last month, from a 14 to a 16, but the latter is starting to become an issue.
Now, he's remained semi-active and still going out with his friends on weekends, although, has been eating healthy, just bigger portions, and seconds... and thirds. I'm happy to see him eat, however, he's only grown an inch and his diet isn't letting up. He's a great kid, and he's acknowledged several times that he's put on weight. What concerns me is if this continues, which unless it ends abruptly, will likely happen.
I have studied nutrition all throughout my life and make sure to cook balanced meals. The snacks he eats are mostly organic, and I don't keep a lot of oily stuff in my house.
I have been thinking of encouraging him to exercise more, but I don't want to make him feel uncomfortable because he's obviously okay with the fact he's gained weight. I just don't want to see him become overweight, which he is nearing, because I know how difficult it is to lose weight, especially when you've expanded your stomach.

I'm happy to see my son eat, but please let me know how I can avoid letting him become overweight. I'll update in a month. In the meantime, I'd greatly appreciate some suggestions.

RH

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
In the same boat here, except it started in the pandemic. If we say anything, it's taken as body shaming. We have tried everything from encouraging to go to the gym, bike riding, jogging or even walking. Staying in really got them depressed and made them real slow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts