Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is your plan? We will obviously, get our son out and on the way rescue/grab the animals. If we get out and have not secured the animals we agree that one of us will go back in to find the said missing pet.

what will you do?

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Not a vegan, but I'm a loving pet-owner. I've thought about this scenario about a kazillion times. I definitely would not leave my pets in here if my house was on fire. I think if I called them in a serious voice, they would listen very well. They'd probably run right out with us. I always think if there was a fire downstairs, and we were upstairs, I'd throw all the blankets and pillows down to the ground. I'd throw each dog onto the pile. Then the kids and I would go. Boy do I hope it never happens though. I also have worried about the house catching fire when I'm not home, and how scared my doggies would be. Ugh. Heart-breaking.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rebeccamaryll View Post
Not a vegan or a pet owner, but I know you can buy stickers for your front door letting the firepeople know you have pets.
We'd do everything possible to get our animals out as we were leaving.

We got this one; it's from SPCA of Texas. Maybe the other states' SPCAs have them, too.

https://secure2.convio.net/tspca/site/ConsProfileUser

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
My dog pretty much follows me wherever I go. So, I wouldn't really have to grab him or look for him. He'd be right there.

I have to say, though, I would not go back into a burning building for any other pet - except Roark. If I had a cat, he'd have to fend for himself. Roark is my life, so he definitely gets preferential treatment. But, otherwise ... well, I'd just hope they got out in time.

Also, it would depend on the state of the building. If one room is burning, and nothing near the entry ways is on fire, then yes I'd go in. Otherwise, I wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Clue's crate is directly in the line out the door. We'd just grab the handle and run. If we couldn't get out the front door, we'd go off the back deck (less than ideal because it's a floor off the ground). Again, her crate would get grabbed. It's very important to us.

I have to say that the cat would just have to fend.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
A long time ago I had a friend whose cat died in their house fire. It turned out the cat was hiding under the couch and that is why they couldn't find her. She told me that it is imperative that you know where your pets (especially small ones, like kitties) hide when they are scared, then you have a good chance of finding them there if there is a fire.

I honestly don't have a plan. I should. I will think about it now!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Everyone has a couple pillow cases in their room with drawstrings around the opening. If they can safely grab a cat or two on their way out, they will (we have five). They'd hate it, but it's a heckuva lot easier than fiddling with crates.

The rabbits' crate is right in my bedroom where they live, and I'd do whatever I could to grab them as well. The mice would probably end up in a pocket or empty box

Bottom line: take care of yourself first, or you're useless to your pets.

·
Registered
212 Posts
We have seven cats. Before we had dd, I would say that I would go back in and get as many as I could. Now, because we are parents, I would not risk my life or allow dh to risk his to save our animals. I would get anyone I could on the way out, would go back in if I felt it would not risk my life, otherwise I would open every door and window I could and hope they would get out on their own.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yurtdwellingmama View Post
Now, because we are parents, I would not risk my life or allow dh to risk his to save our animals. I would get anyone I could on the way out, would go back in if I felt it would not risk my life, otherwise I would open every door and window I could and hope they would get out on their own.
I agree with this.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Our kitten and our snake are the only two of our pets that I'm really concerned about in a situation like fire. The rest of them are hot on our heals if we so much as go to the bathroom, and do everything in their power to make certain that if we leave the house, so do they
We have the snakes enclosure set up next to an outside door, so hopefully one of us would be able to get him without incident. The kitten on the other hand... so far, if I make weird chirping sounds (like her mother does) she comes running, I'm not certain she would if frightened though...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
As soon as the door opens here the dogs are out of if. For the cats I would bust out windows if I couldn't go back in. Now at what point will I go back in? If I were to risk my life I wouldn't go. However if it were just a risk of harm I'm going back in for my cats if I don't grab them on the way out. My baby comes first, after that come my furry babies.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Most fire fighters will go in for pets if it's safe (safe with their equipment on)
I wouldn't recomend STAYING in the house hunting for an animal, but for sure, let the ff know where that animal hides.
It's hard...oh so hard, I know I'd go back in or at least I would have before having a child.
I do have an evac protocal for the kennel though and we have a very rough (as in not safe for any long period of time) fenced area about 200' from the house that we would transport any boarded animals to while we were getting everyone out. After that, I have a reciprical arrangement with another kennel down the road, we will always take each others animals if need be.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218 View Post
Most fire fighters will go in for pets if it's safe (safe with their equipment on)
I wouldn't recomend STAYING in the house hunting for an animal, but for sure, let the ff know where that animal hides.
What Shannon said. Also, cats are usually pretty good at getting out, although they tend to disappear for a while afterwards (considering the general disposition of cats, they don't respond well to being disturbed by big loud smelly stompy people bearing water hoses
). We open windows and doors, so they usually get out fine. If not, they usually end up in closets, waaaaaaaaaaay at the back. I'll go look for a cat, but unless it's in mortal danger it gets to stay put, because it's not pleased to see me.
Dogs have a little more trouble getting out - I guess they're more domesticated than cats - so if you have to choose between dog and cat, go for the dog.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
i would do whatever i could to grab my animals but would not go back in to search for them. for my dogs, i have leashes in the laundry room but in an emergency a belt or rope would fine. if need be, i am pretty sure that my dogs could just be let out and they would stay nearby, espcially Tyson who believes there is a 6 foot leash attaching him to me at all times, LOL. the rabbit would go in a carrier and the rat in a shoebox or jacket pocket. what i need to do though is get 2 more carriers that I can place near the front door and near the back door for the rabbit and rat incase the one in the closet is not accessible.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I've thought a lot about this one. I have three cats. One of them is out the door like a shot anytime I open it, anyway, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to worry about her, but the other two are pretty intimidated by the outdoors and I think would be more likely to try to hide. I've gotten in the habit of leaving closets and the basement closed so there are fewer places to hide, anyway, but a cat can always find some little hidey hole. I would go back and look for them if I could; I would certainly not leave them in the house if I could safely go back for them, but I don't think I would risk my life for them. I love my cats, but my kids need me alive.

So I think what I'd do would be to get me and DH and my kids out safely, grab the cats if I could on the way, and then go back for any cats still left behind if I seemed like I could do so safely without serious harm.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I too have thought alot about it. Rowan first of course but I don't think I'd have to do much wrangling to get the dogs out......they follow me wherever I go so I think they'd be right behind me. If its all ablaze, the poor lizzies, frogs, fish and spider would be toast......if its easy and simple, I'd pop back in for them but not risk my life.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts