Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I have my nuchal test. I must have went back and forth 100 times about whether or not I should go through with it. I finally decided I would and now am scared to death something is going to be wrong. Please tell me all is going to be ok. I know there are lots of stories of false positives, but there has to be stories out there where everything was fine from the beginning, right?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I've had two. Both times were fine.

It's really going to be fine!

I was so nervous before my first one, not so much my second. I knew what to expect and I had just heard the heartbeat the day before.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I know Jillybeans from this DDC had a NT and everything looked great. Don't holler until your hit. I'm sure all will be well.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
when i went my hog of a babe was too big for the nt but i got to see the precious form - brain and heart and limbs and spine like string of pearls. and i found out that i'm having another daughter!

try not to be too nervous. everything is as it already is, ya know?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Thinking of you Tricia! We opted out of testing because I get nervous and we won't terminate anyway. I'm sending you calming vibes!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi there- I just had mine on Friday and all looked well. The tech gave me the measurement right there which was reassuring. I thought I might have to wait for the blood work to be completed before I heard anything. I am sure yours will go great!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
What happens here is the tech does the US and then a doctor comes in and talks to you about it and then they draw the blood. Since the US looked good both times, I didn't sweat the wait for the blood tests.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm having mine tomorrow too and I could have written this post! I'm soooo nervous. I always get nervous before appointments -- I worry they'll find something wrong -- but this one feels like an extra big deal and we have to go into the city to have it done and it's just a lot of pressure!
I'm good with my decision to have the test -- i'll be 36 tomorrow (yes, i'm having it done on my birthday; it was the only day they had available!) so I know my risks are a little higher and dh and I like to be prepared. I just know when I go in to have it done, my knees will be a-knockin'. My OB kept remarking at my last visit on how my heart was pounding... she was having trouble getting the hb on doppler, so of course my heart was racing. I'm sure this will be no better.
I'm also really not looking forward to the whole full-bladder-for-an-hour thing. I think it is so cruel how they do that to us pregnant folks.

Wishing good luck to all the ladies having their tests this week.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I know it sounds ridiculous, but part of the reason I am nervous is because I have a really healthy child and the luck I have had in my life makes me think that I could not possibly get lucky twice. The fact that I will be 35 a month after the baby is born also is weighing on my mind. I hate that the risks are increased because I am three years old than I was with ds.

Grethel: I never fill my bladder to capacity anymore. The very first time I did it was such a painful experience and then they had me empty some of it because my bladder was too fun. Trying to stop mid pee with a bladder that full was not fun. Tomorrow, I will just chug a bottle of water on my 1/2 hour drive in and i'm sure by the time they get to me....it will be as full as it needs to be. I agree that it is cruel and unsual punishment!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
i actually found it very reassuring.
i was 35 when i had it done with ds and the reading was 1.8 (at 13wks) and then the blood work made it 1/12000 for trisonomies and 1/18000 for downs. that made me feel pretty good...and young

this time at 37 it was almost the same reading for the nuchal fold 1.7 at 12.5wks, so now just waiting on the blood work for the rest of the ips (at 15-16wks for the second set of blood work)

the tech took about 3min total to do all the work (i ask that it be done quickly - no dawdling) my lo had its legs perfectly crossed so no chance of knowing gender, but doesn't matter to me. just that the baby looked good.

oh they'll give you the crown-rump measurement and heartbeat rate too (i had mine done last tues and wrote everything down - 60mm and 167bpm)

enjoy it!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Good luck! I don't think it's ridiculous at all. I'm nervous before every type of test! I've got mine coming up on Wednesday. Hopefully we'll all be getting good news this week. I'm at least looking forward to getting to see the babe again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.