Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9-month DS has been waking about every hour (lately more like every half hour) for over a month now and I'm really feeling it. He does have four teeth coming in all at once, so I understand why sleep is troublesome for him, but some days I just yearn for the future when (hopefully) he will sleep longer stretches...

I have his crib sidecarred to the bed in an attempt to make things easier (at least I don't have to get out of bed and walk down the hall to his room every time he wakes up fussing), but halfway through the night he usually ends up right next to me in my bed (instead of in the sidecar).

How do working breastfeeding mamas deal with trying to work out of the home while under extreme sleep deprivation? I'm hesitant to do caffeine because baby already doesn't sleep enough (don't want to give hime caffeine through my milk), so what can I do to try to function like a normal human being at work?

Sigh, I know that I am in it for the long haul and that getting more than one hour of sleep at a time is out of reach for a LONG time, but some days I am just so exhausted that I can't focus.

Guess I'm just looking for some place to commiserate, there really isn't a solution until he grows up...

· Registered
4,559 Posts
Oh, honey- I've been there with an "incredible non-sleeping baby" as dh used to call ours. A few suggestions:

We discovered by accident my ds sleeps better when he's in a full set of pj's not just a t-shirt and diaper like I had been doing. A friend's baby slept better with footed pj's or socks.

A good hearty bedtime snack of something like oatmeal will sometimes help baby sleep longer if he's on solids.

Its OK to consider treating his teething pains- Hylands makes some teething tablits and there are other natural teething gels that may help. With my first, when we had nights like that we occassionally resorted to baby tylonol- you might want to ask your ped. about that.

Oh- and if you use cloth diapers- sometimes wet diapers will keep baby more wakeful- I know my son slept better in a fuzzy bunz than in a prefold at that age.

Hope this helps!

· Registered
807 Posts
s

i couldn't read and not respond! i'm a SAHM, but my sweet husband would wake up, it up and give me a back rub, or talk to me while i was nursing our daughter for the first year or so (until i could basically sleep through nursing!) and i never understood how he dealt with the sleep depravation at work. i guess it's just something super heros do!

way to go mama. your attitude is freaking awesome, and i salute you

ETA: hows your B12 doing these days? maybe you should go see a naturopath, who could give you some ideas on herbs, vitamins, and minerals that could give you some extra energy? i go in for a B12 shot every once in a while, whenever i'm feeling more run down. it might help you too!

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the encouragement!

As far as things to help him sleep longer, I have tried a lot, with none of them making much difference.

Footed PJs, non-footed PJs, one-piece, two-piece, cotton or fleece --Doesn't seem to matter much...

Teething tablets, boiron's camilla, tylenol, motrin -- Motrin helps only a little (by a little I mean he sleeps an hour and a half instead of an hour,
), and the others don't seem to make any difference in keeping him asleep (although they do seem to help him go to sleep quicker).

He nurses so much during the night that he pees quite a lot, so we use the nighttime disposable diapers because they hold the most without leaking.

I haven't tried tanking him up with food before bed, so I could give that a try.

His pediatrician told me today (he had his 9-month checkup today) that he should be sleeping through the night at this age and that I should let him CIO in his crib in his own room,
: But of course I don't want to do that...

I have no idea if I have any vitamin deficiencies, but I do eat mostly vegetarian (occasionally have fish). I'm still taking the New Chapter Perfect Prenatal vitamins, and occasionally take the New Chapter Immunity Take Care (elderberry) to keep the colds at bay, but no other supplements. I'll look into supplementing with B12.

· Registered
138 Posts
I have no suggestions (sorry!) but just wanted to commiserate. My baby has never slept well (she's only four and a half months, though, so maybe there's hope), and even when she does sleep she thrashes around a lot and makes sleep hard for me. I fantasize about sleep the way I imagine starving people fantasize about food
. Also, I do have a cup of coffee in the morning (I couldn't survive without it) and I have never noticed it bothering dd or interfering with her morning nap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.