Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why can't I catch a break with nursing? Ugh. So, I have huge supply issues, have with all my kids. I'm supplementing Niall (3 weeks) with a Lact-Aid and he's gaining pretty well. We're also dealing with some other issues, and I'm having trouble prioritizing and figuring out what he's doing.<br><br>
He started off doing just fine, but after the first few days, he was latching really shallow and my nipples got super sore. They weren't cracked or bleeding, but it was excruciating to latch him on at first. So, we corrected that issue, but then we both developed thrush. The nipple pain is a little better.. it's not excruciating, but it's more of a constant lower-level pain. They're blistery, red, shiny, and oozing. We're treating the thrush, but I'm wondering if I can use some sort of nipple cream (I have nipple butter that I was using at first) in between treatments to help heal myself. I don't want to give the thrush anything to eat, but I'd love to do what I can to speed up the healing process. Any thoughts?<br><br>
My other question is.. a lot of the time, Niall does something with my nipple that I can't quite figure out.. sometimes it feels like he's trying to push it out of the way while still sucking on the tubing, and other times it feels like he's chomping down really hard on it. I have no idea what he's actually doing with his mouth, but it's uncomfortable. I usually re-latch him when he does it (he doesn't stop otherwise), but between having to re-latch a dozen times just to get the tubing positioned right, and then re-latching when he starts doing this.. I'm going a little crazy. Any idea of what he's doing, why, and what I can do to stop it?<br><br>
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
29 Posts
So sorry to hear you are having all of these issues. Breastfeeding is so awesome when it works and can be so frustrating and painful when there are issues. Anyway, I only have a suggestion for your first question which is to ask your provider for a prescription of All Purpose Nipple Ointment, a compounded ointment containing an antifungal, antibacterial, and steroid. Is it natural? No, so maybe you don't want to use it. Does it work? yes. It is recommended by Dr. Jack Newman who has lots of useful info on his website including the recipe for the APNO <a href="http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=5&Itemid=17" target="_blank">http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...id=5&Itemid=17</a>

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't that expensive, though? I really don't know if I can swing another big expense.. between formula, Lact-Aids, domperidone, herbs, frequent visits for weight checks, my appointments to get prescriptions for Nystatin and Diflucan.. nursing is costing me so much money. All that on top of the $3k we had to shell out for the homebirth..<br><br>
I don't care that much if it's all natural, so long as it's safe and it works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts