Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We adopted a kitty about 2 months ago. The kids wanted to get her a pretty collar, big mistake. I noticed she kept scratching so I took it off of her. But she now has two spots on her neck, I'm assuming she caused them with all of the scratching she was doing. They are probably slightly smaller than a dime. I have been using peroxide and neosporin on them for several days now. They have improved slightly, but not enough to make me happy. Unfortunately I can't take her to the vet until the end of next week unless it becomes an emergency. Any suggestions to anything else I could use to help clear these up. TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,669 Posts
My cat is allergic to fleas so every year when summer hits he scratches and gets sores. Then we realize that he needs anti-flea meds and go to the vet to get some. All of his sores have healed nicely on their own even ones that looked pretty bad.

I hope your kitty gets better. Sorry I could not help more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,573 Posts
Scrap the peroxide adn neosporin and use some calendula cream on them. Neosporin seals adn peroxide dries--peroxide is great for the first cleaning on a nasty spot, but after that first one there is no need unless they are weepy, otherwise, the dryness can cause them to get worse not better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218 View Post
Scrap the peroxide adn neosporin and use some calendula cream on them. Neosporin seals adn peroxide dries--peroxide is great for the first cleaning on a nasty spot, but after that first one there is no need unless they are weepy, otherwise, the dryness can cause them to get worse not better.
Thank you! They are still occasionally weepy, so maybe I'll just use the peroxide sparingly. I have a candula cream I made with candula infused olive oil, vit e, beeswax and lavender EO. Would that be safe to use? She can't lick that area very well, so I don't think she would be able to injest very much of it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,026 Posts
Just to let you know, many cat experts recommend not using any sort of EO on cats. It can absorb through their skin and have the potential to be fatal due to their metabolic differences.

This is especially true with EOs that contain phenol, like tea tree and thyme.

Also, on a side note, cats should not be given garlic or onions. Severe anemias can result.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
I can't say enough for schrieners (sp?) herbal solution. It heals wounds super fast, I've never seen anything work so well before. It's for horses, but I've used it on dogs, cats and chinchillas before. You can get it at your local feed store. It's kind of expensive, about $8 per spray bottle (10 oz maybe?), but a bottle lasts forever.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top