Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But I am hoping some of you Chicago area Mama's can help me.

We are homeschoolers, and I am planning a back to school trip with my 3 children. I want to go to the Field Museum and possibly the planetarium and that night go to the Sears tower.

Can anyone reccommend a hotel that is close to the museum campus and that might have a free shuttle service to the museum?? I think we are going to stay one night? I'd like a hotel with a pool, that isn't outrageously expensive.

Also, if I get a hotel near the museum campus, how far is that from the Sears tower? I'd like to try and avoid driving in Chicago as much as possible. Maybe a shuttle to the Tower too??

Are there restaurants near the museums that are kid friendly?? I have 3 girls and at the time of travel (Sept 6) they will be 7.5,3.5 and 18.5 months.

Thanks
Chandi

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Hey,
My family just got back from a week long trip to Chicago. We got Hotel 71 for $236 a night on Hotwire. Parking was an additional $39/night. I didn't think it was a great deal but it was the best we could get. We needed 2 queen beds and this was about the only place. I'd seen rooms for $115 (Travellodge) but the reviews were awful. I was afraid to do priceline as I've heard that the room is for 1-2 people and I didn't want to get stuck paying for an extra room. We needed something for 2 adults, 2 pre-teens and 1 preschooler. Traffic was crazy. I've driven in Atlanta and this was so much more intense. Luckily we took the trolley and buses everywhere. Only bad thing was that trolleys start at 10 and go to 6 so we had to take a bus to get places early. We did alot of walking. I had planned to borrow a sling but couldn't and then forgot my stroller. Overall a very friendly city. We didn't eat at the Fields but did at Adler's and Shedd's. Everything was super kid friendly, lot of school groups. Mostly sandwiches and pizzas. There's lots of open land outside for picnics. Sear's was nice. I liked to read all the info on the walls but my Dh and dd took a couple of looks and just sat down and waited.
My Dh and I enjoyed the Adler. I'm not sure how much young children would get out of it. Most if it was interactive computer games that my dd had no clue what was going on.
Everyone enjoyed the Shedd's but found the dolphin show better at the zoo.
we lucked out and went during a discount period so I didn't feel too bad about taking the kids places where they would only get alittle out of it.
I wanted to do the Art Museum but the pre-teens felt really strongly against it.
As for eating in the city, we ate at Panda Express, Subway, and a burrito place.
pm me with more questions.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Just so you know my mom gets rooms on priceline all the time for Chicago and usually gets a great deal. Like $100-$150 dollars. I would check out places like The W through priceline, it is was cool and right downtown. As long as you are in walking distance from Michigan Ave you are really close to everything.

Also if you need anymore info you can pm me too

darkstar

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
darkstar
Has you mom been able to pick the number of adults in a room with priceline. I've only done priceline once and it was just Dh, dd, and myself so a king bed was all we wanted, but I have had issues trying to get a room for 4. It's like when I want one bed I get 2 and when I need 2 beds I get one.

nursingnaturalmom
Look at the Museum of Science and Industry. It was the best for the younger ones. Tons of food options, nice play area with a divided area for infants/toddlers. I found it the most hands-on. When we went (2nd week in June) they had a coal mine, sub, train, farm trucks, section on the heart and brain, dinos.
Overall I thought it was the best place to spend an entire day with enough places for eating, playing/running, and of course learining!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've even gotten 4 star hotels on/near Michigan Ave. for $55/night. Usually two double or queen sized beds. Maybe once you have a reservation, you can call the hotel and ask what the nightly rate is for a crib or cot or whatever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.