Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there ladies,

First of all, I'm really sorry if this comes across as callous or insensitive to you women who are trying so hard to get pregnant.

I just POAS this morning and got a faint BFP. I'm in total shock since I haven't had my first PP period yet, nor was there any EWCM...AND I just completed cancer treatment - chemo and radiation...didn't think I COULD ovulate and/or conceive.

Our DD is getting close to 3yrs, our DS is 8.5mos, and now I think I'm pregnant again.

This is going to be hard physically (exhaustion), and financially, because it will likely mean a new car and a new house....AND I'm a SAHM.

I AM excited (I think), and definitely don't mean to sound ungrateful.

What do you think is the best way to tell DH? I'm not sure of the dates because I haven't been charting anything....this is going to rock our world.

TIA,
charlene

This would me

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hi Charlene,

Now here's my turn to sound potentially insensitive. I'm a newb at the whole charting thing and was reading the small print on some HPTs the other day before I started one. I remember reading something about different kinds of cancer could cause false BFP results. Hopefully radiation has taken care of everything you had in your system, but I'd imagine with all the extenuating circumstances getting into your doctor's office ASAP for a positive blood test would be imperative.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Im not offended. I got pregnant last time by mistake and then cried for about 4 days convinced hubby would be so mad and upset because financially I just didn't know if we could do it. He was DELIGHTED. I was shocked!
This time that I might be preggo too was an oops....(pull out method), but I hang around here because the ladies on this board sure know their stuff about symptoms and dpo when you should expect things. They are a friendly bunch here!
Congrats on the new baby - I do have to agree with pp that maybe depending on the type of cancer you were fighting that you may need not only to find out for sure there is a BABY but also make sure that they handle your pregnancy with care now that you have been through a lot of poisoning of your body.
Im glad to see that you said you just completed your rounds though. So are you in a wait and see spot, or are they considering you in remission right now?
I had ovarian cancer at 19 and was blessed not to have to go through chemo and radiation - but I would worry that the preggo hormones can make any lingering cells go crazy.
Anyway - I didn't mean to write you a book - I hope you are feeling well and that hubby surprises you like mine has and is excited knowing that things will work themselves out the way they should be!!
:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by petit_bleuet View Post
I remember reading something about different kinds of cancer could cause false BFP results.
Thank you for your response, and no offense taken!
I had hodgkins lymphoma, which would not affect my hCG levels. Ovarian, breast and a rare form of uterine cancer could affect the hCG levels, but the lymph node system is quite separate from the reproductive system.

Yes, I am also concerned about any possible side-effects of the treatment potentially affecting the baby....cancer sucks in so many ways!

The good thing is that I am healthy (cancer aside), and completed my treatments about 2 months ago...not *that* long ago, but I'm trying to stay positive about everything.

...anyway, any ideas how to tell DH? This is a bit of a complicated time for us, and I *KNOW* that he will start to worry as soon as the words are out of my mouth.

...I'm thinking of delaying telling him for a couple days until I feel better about all of this...perhaps I'll chat with my midwife - won't *SHE* be suprised to hear from me!

TIA,
charlene

·
Registered
519 Posts
CONGRATS! This is a blessing from GOD!!!

I would find some fun way to tell him. Maybe have him dress the baby one night before leaving the house...the tshirt could say...I'm a big brother...that way if he was too shocked, well you're in the car and he could take a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by intime0 View Post
CONGRATS! This is a blessing from GOD!!!

I would find some fun way to tell him. Maybe have him dress the baby one night before leaving the house...the tshirt could say...I'm a big brother...that way if he was too shocked, well you're in the car and he could take a few minutes.
What a FUN idea!!!

·
Registered
834 Posts
s hun! I've had two babes that weren't planned...this one I am carrying now and my handsome 3.5yr old! It was hard to tell DH that the test was positive, but he knew I was going to POAS so I just showed the stick to him and he knew.

In your case - I agree with the shirt! When we announced our 3rd we made shirts for the older two (who, btw were very similar in age to yours! My oldest turned 3 days before the babe was born, and our middle child was only 16mths old when babe was born - we found out when he was about 9mths old) Anyway - the shirts said "Oh Baby" on the front, and our DD said "I hope this one is a girl" and DS's said "I hope this one is a boy"
it was neat!

Good luck with everything! I've never been in your shoes re:health, but I remember the total shock of that positive!

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Hi GeoGirl, I remember you from the DDC when you moved to August from July.

I'm so glad things have worked for you and you are cancer free mama, that's wonderful news!!!! I'm also very excited for you about the new babe, I agree that GOD works in mysterious ways!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenk View Post
Hi GeoGirl, I remember you from the DDC when you moved to August from July.

I'm so glad things have worked for you and you are cancer free mama, that's wonderful news!!!! I'm also very excited for you about the new babe, I agree that GOD works in mysterious ways!!!

Hi there Tenk!

yes, you are a familiar 'face' as well! ;-)

Thank you all for your congratulations. I'm going to test again in the morning to confirm that there IS a second line, and then I'm going to call our midwife to see if she can set up some bloodwork. Once the pregnancy is confirmed, I'll tell DH.

...funny how you all know before he does.

*fingers crossed* he's OK with it.

thank you,
charlene

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.