Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies,<br>
My 2.5 y.o., totally "typical" or aheaed of every milestone, seems to have some sensory issues. Since his 9 yo brother is autistic, non-verbal and developmentally delayed in every area, I am not used to a small-ish issue and don't know if: i'm overreacting to toddler behavior, or if this is soemthing e.i. would even look at. Ds #2 will put his hand over his ears in lagre groups like music and gymnastics class, is very alert to sounds in general (we have alot of planes and trains nearby), and will tell me things like "Mama, that's a scary sound," often. He has a few tactile issues--slimy thinsg on his hands, and refusing to wear shoes--that might just be him and not sensory dysfunction. Does this seem worth an eval. or just waiting it out?<br>
Thanks,<br>
J in nyc

·
Registered
342 Posts
It sounds like it's not really bothering him, or that he's able to handle it well, so I probably wouldn't bother. You know how to teach him to deal with any sensitivities from your older DS, I'd imagine, right?<br><br>
I see some signs in my DD, but for now it doesn't appear to be interfering with her daily life, so we let her be.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I would say, get an eval.. Having been told that my DS would "grow out of it" for many sensory things.. and instead they just got bigger and bigger for him.. I should have done it sooner. He thought it was fantastic fun and we learned things that we hadn't even known.. how he has low tone.. never would have suspected it.. or other things.<br>
Now, we know how to help him.. and this has helped us as a family.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts