Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It doesn't sound too appealing to me, but it would make a healthy and filling breakfast. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I go through phases where I love a miso-based veggie soup for breakfast. I cut up ginger and onion and carrots and simmer them in liquid. (I'm not a vegetarian, so it's usually a mixture of either chicken stock or bonito fish stock and water, but I've done it with just water, and it's fine.)<br><br>
Then, I add whatever veggies I'm going to add, staggering them based on how long they'll take to cook. For example, the ribs of baby bok choy go in early, but the leaves go in late, with the mushrooms. Broccoli goes in halfway. Sometimes I'll use soba noodles, too: there's no reason to boil them separately, as they can cook in the soup.<br><br>
At some point, I'll take out some liquid to cool a little and stir in the miso. I let the soup cool a bit too before stirring that miso "slurry" back in, because the boiling temp ruins the enzymes in the miso. If I'm feeling spicy, I'll add that Japanese red pepper powder (can't remember what it's called, but it's in the small jar at restaurants, and they put it on udon soup).

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
My 11 y/o dd has been asking for miso soup (broth and noodles) for breakfast. My youngest often requests clam chowder on cold mornings. I think it makes a lot of sense, esp. when it's cold out,and I am frankly happy to get something in them in the mornings.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I love soup for breakfast. I love salad for breakfast. Nothing says you have to have eggs and toast! Miso soup does make a great light breakfast (I add a little tofu or leftover chicken for protein), as does any leftover lentil soup warmed up from the night before (we have lentil soup a lot in the winter). Chili is great over a baked potato or a bowl of grits/polenta.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I had egg-drop soup for breakfast yesterday.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hehe... I just made a thread about this on my home board, and almost everyone there does different things for breakfast. There was only one person who sticks to the conventional breakfast routine, and she just does it because it's what she's comfortable with. My son gets a lot of sandwiches for breakfast because it's his favorite, and since he's not a morning person I let him have whatever he wants as long as it's nutritous and filling.<br><br>
What is miso soup? It's getting kinda cold here, and I've been considering making a good veggie soup. I'm open to new things though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts