Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13 mo. old son has a slight sour smell coming from his mouth. Sometimes I have even mistaken his breath for gas coming from his bottom end. It has been this way for several months... so we have tried to get him to chew on a toothbrush (he won't let us put it in his mouth)... he has 8 teeth (the top and bottom four in the front)... the first tooth at 4 mo's. He's mostly breastfed, and eats a little pureed babyfood and nibbles on what we're eating. I haven't noticed it get worse or better with what he's eating...<br><br>
Is this common? Could this be a problem? Is there something I could do? Should I be worried about cavities already?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Definitely check his mouth to see if you can spot anything that looks weird. Signs of problems would be whitish chalky spots, or discolorations. What I've heard about sour smells though, is that it generally points to something wrong with digestion (food fermenting in the gut instead of being digested, causing foul smells from both ends). If you suspect that this may be the case, check out the "Healing the Gut" tribe in Health and Healing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts