Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
If you're not vegetarian, meat. If you don't have dairy problems, cheese, yogurt, butter. Eggs.

Seeds also have fats (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame), olives, coconut. Cooking veggies for her in a little bit of fat (olive, coconut, butter). Making coconut milk yogurt. Adding coconut oil to a smoothie.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
If you're not vegetarian, meat. If you don't have dairy problems, cheese, yogurt, butter. Eggs.

Seeds also have fats (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame), olives, coconut. Cooking veggies for her in a little bit of fat (olive, coconut, butter). Making coconut milk yogurt. Adding coconut oil to a smoothie.
We have to cut dairy from DS's diet

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
All dairy is not created equally, ftr. Some kids are allergic to some milk, but not good yogurt or raw cheese, fi. Or even eggs. Be sure you knw what dairy causes allergies-- all proteins are *not* the same.

If you aren't veggie or vegan, , I'd say wild salmon, and I would also say eggs-- try to find a local source of eggs where the hens are not fed soy. (Because chances are your child is allergic to the feed that hens are fed, and not the eggs themselves).

What about organic, pastured beef or chicken?

Also, olive & flax seed oil.

Why are you looking for fats, in particular? How limited is his diet? What tests have you done to determine allergies?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
: argh...I typed a long response, and the server ate it up

anyway, no allergy tests right now. We suspect an intolerance/sensitivity, not an allergy. He's 18 months and still needs the fat for brain development.

We're on an elimination diet, with dairy being the most obvious one for him. He has very limited exposure to wheat/gluten and other common allergens.

He's having some really bad tummy issues...he's actually had them for a really long time, but it just occurred to me that something was actually wrong with him (8 or 9 bms per day, bad tummy aches, random crankiness that occurs before his bms).

We're eliminating everything for now, to see if it all clears up. We'll reintroduce yogurt and cheese once things seem better (if they do).

We're not vegetarian, but I don't really want him eating beef, which is a source of fat.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I grind flax seeds in a coffee grinder and add it to everything. We stir it into yogurt and smoothies (maybe if you can someday reintroduce dairy - or if you do soy), I add it to bread dough, oatmeal and cereal, mix it into bread crumbs whenever I use them... I know there's more. I also sprinkle sesame seeds on lots of stuff. I make hummus and other dressings/dips with olive or sesame oil.

When I'm ambitious enough to bake homemade bread, I also add olive oil, finely chopped walnuts and whatever seeds I have.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Will he eat smoothies? We avoid dairy around here so we do a lot of smoothies with frozen fruit , juice, and I try to have an avocado to put in. It took me a while to try the avocado in a smoothie at first, but it is divine. It makes a smoothie so unbelievably creamy and well, smooth. Yum!

Why are you opposed to beef? That's one of my toddlers favorite foods, but we try to buy only local, grass fed beef.

What about getting some cod liver oil and sneaking it to him, or give it to him if he will willingly take it?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I forgot to add, if you are not opposed to beef for ethical reasons, I would consider it, at least to get through the elimination diet. We have had to do that here and it can be very tough, but you still gotta eat, so I made exceptions for things I normally wouldn't have around.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to make an avocado smoothie--what else do you put in it?

Beef--I don't really think beef is such a great meat to eat. I eat it very very rarely. I, of course, can make exceptions...it's just something I'll have to research and think about some more.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Have you tried giving him a probiotic supplement?? We got the infant drops from http://www.everidis.com/ (the ones used in the study of colicky babies)... and wow, what a difference it has made for DD.

Let's see, healthy fats... coconut (the "meat", oil, and milk), avocado, any nuts, salmon, and tuna come to mind.

You can make hummus...which is chickpeas, tahini (sesame seed butter), olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. The olive oil and tahini are both healthy fats. Most kids like it... and they can dip veggies, crackers, and bread in it.

Oh...egg yolks are very healthy fats. You could make a custard using eggs, coconut milk, and some sweetener.

Can make coconut milk rice pudding.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodheartedmama View Post
I am going to make an avocado smoothie--what else do you put in it?

Beef--I don't really think beef is such a great meat to eat. I eat it very very rarely. I, of course, can make exceptions...it's just something I'll have to research and think about some more.
No pushy-ness from me, but google the benefits of 100% grass fed beef and see what you think. I buy half an ethically raised grass fed beef every year. It's delish and IMO doing something great for my body.

Everyone has their own idea though.

Do you know how to make almond milk? you can make almond milk smoothies/ice cream with avacados
And you can always add flax to smoothies, and coconut oil which is a very good source of fat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.