Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...

I have made sourdough bread from the recipe in Nourishing traditions about 3 times, each time leaving a quart of starter in the fridge for the next batch...well, it's been a while since I made some, about 4 or 5 months, is this quart ok? It doesn't smell bad, just a little yeasty, there was some dark liquid that rose to the top too...

The book does not say how long you may leave it in the fridge or whether you need to 'feed it' every week (a friend told me that I had to do this...but I don't know?) So anyone with experience here? Should I just toss it and start over?

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I've read mixed reviews on how often to feed it when it's dormant. I say give it a shot, try using it and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I can't get mine to live that long. We live downwind from a brewery, so we have some alcohol-producing yeast in the air in high amounts. They always colonize my starters and ruin them. I get about 2 weeks, and then the alcohol level is so high it kills the sourdough-producing yeast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.