Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it isn't NT but I can't bring myself to pitch a whole 10 lb bag of white flour since we're so short on $$$. Can I use it to make sourdough and then start subbing in whole wheat after I use this stuff up or will that foul up the starter?

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Sourdough can totally be made with white flour. In fact, white flour, since the bran is processed out, is naturally much lower in phytates. It also lasts much longer without going rancid because, without the germ, it has none of the oils that oxidize. If it were me, I'd keep making my sourdough starter with the whole wheat, and use the white flour in each batch as your last addition of flour (or part of that last addition), and for dusting the counter. That way you don't have to worry much about those steps not fermenting for long to neutralize the phytates.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh good point. I've been feeling guilty about using it-even though I've used it for 20 years w/o a second thought!
: Didn't think about getting some whole wheat to use as the starter...maybe I'll do that tonight at the store so it can start catching yeasties....assuming, of course, I can find a souce of freshly ground wheat.

My parents just started harvest-I guess I should take a 5 gallon bucket and go ride in the combine!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.