Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5 months postpartum and while my very eager and pudgy nurser has helped me lose all my pregnancy weight plus 5 pounds, I'm eager to get started on losing the 30-40 extra pounds I still have on me. I have read the south beach diet (and I did it for a little while before getting pregnant with #2 and liked it a lot) and I did a similar diet created by the cardiologist who owned my gym to lose weight for my wedding and did great on it.

I really want to do Phase 1 though because I have found that it really helps me to break that carb cycle completely before adding back in the low-glycemic index carbs and I get more excited and into a diet if I can get that initial drop - its a big motivator. I've seen everywhere folks saying not to do this while nursing, but the only reason I see is its 'too restrictive'. I am having a hard time believing that two weeks on it is really going to be a problem for my supply or my baby (who is in no danger of starving - he's in 12 month clothes at 5 months)

What exactly is restricted in phase 1 that you really NEED to have? I could see not doing something like that long term, but for just two weeks if I take a multivitamin, etc?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would think that calories are calories, and as long as you make sure to eat plenty of the non-restricted calories as well as lots of water, your supply should be okay. I follow the WW plan, which allows you 10 extra points a day if you are nursing as baby's primary nutrition source. However, I am finding that I have to balance my extra points with my milk supply. If I don't eat enough, I definitely know it, as my supply is down, and baby wakes up more at night.

I have read the book, and he does say that nursing mothers should skip directly to phase 2.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I did phase one with no problem. If you do it right you will not be carb restricted. Just carb-specific. You will have to make the effort to cook and eat the allowed carbs though. For me that was a lot of chickpeas and beans

Anyway, it went fine and my supply was not affected.

ND

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I did phase 1 while breastfeeding an 8-week-old. No sweat.

Babies have been successfully raised in cultures where the diets are a heck of a lot worse than anything Dr. Agatston has ever dreamed of. South Beach is a healthy diet. I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I did phase 1 while pregnant and nursing, with my OB's consent(I had gestational diabetes), though I didn't realise it was south beach at the time. I was just trying to keep the glycemic index as low as possible so I wouldn't have to do insulin. My milk supply was fine, I could pump a couple of ounces at a time at 8 months pg.

I did phase 1 a couple of months ago after reading about the diet and again had no supply issues.

HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.