Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
I used to live in Ketchikan and liked that area a lot better than Anchorage! I miss being right on the water all day long. We're right on the coast in theory, but most of the city is kind of blocked in from it, and it's totally inconvenient to put a boat in or anything like that. Where do you live?

·
Registered
972 Posts
A year and a half. I went up from the lower 48 to work in a remote fishing lodge, then moved into Ketchikan proper after the season was over. I do think it rained every day I was there... except for the days when it snowed!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi there! I'm in Juneau, too! I've lived here most of my life except when I lived in Colorado to go to college.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by andisunshine View Post
Hi there! I'm in Juneau, too! I've lived here most of my life except when I lived in Colorado to go to college.
Yay!!! So good to see someone else on mdc down here in rain country
!!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Hey, I went to the University of Southern Colorado in Pueblo. Where'd you go?
I went to Fort Lewis College in Durango. It was, as they say, Fort Leisure, I never finished school but learned all about partying! Gosh, I'm so glad I'm too old for that sort of thing anymore!

Andi

·
Registered
647 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by abandbunk View Post
Yay!!! So good to see someone else on mdc down here in rain country
!!!
I know! Only today it is snow country, huh? I've been feeling a bit of cabin fever lately and the snow makes it difficult to leave the house.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi gals,
I was born and raised in Juneau! We now live in sunny Arizona where it only rains for maybe a total of 30 minutes total all year long. I've really gotten used to it and dont know if i could go back to living in the cold and the rain. But my husband could possibly be getting offered a job in Juneau and all my family is still there.

How do you parent in the rain?? I honestly dont know how i would do it. when it sprinkles here we all run out and dance in it, but if it rained everyday i would be so depressed. as a child i didnt think twice about it but as a mom i would find it really annouying.

Pros/cons of living in SE Alaska??

·
Registered
647 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stayathomemommy View Post
Hi gals,
I was born and raised in Juneau! We now live in sunny Arizona where it only rains for maybe a total of 30 minutes total all year long. I've really gotten used to it and dont know if i could go back to living in the cold and the rain. But my husband could possibly be getting offered a job in Juneau and all my family is still there.

How do you parent in the rain?? I honestly dont know how i would do it. when it sprinkles here we all run out and dance in it, but if it rained everyday i would be so depressed. as a child i didnt think twice about it but as a mom i would find it really annouying.

Pros/cons of living in SE Alaska??

Honestly, you just have to get some rain coats and boots and go outside. You might get wet but then you can always put on dry clothes when you are done. And don't forget to take a change of clothes for your kids when you go away from home! I used to work outside and I've learned that from the inside of a house it may look dreary outside, but once you get out there the chances are it really isn't that bad. And once you get out there, in Juneau compared to living in Colorado, there is so much stuff just going on naturally! Tons of vegetation, bugs, birds, fish in the water, animals in the forest. It always overwhelms me when I come back here after being gone for long periods of time. So much stuff living on every available inch of space! And all because there is plenty of water.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi there! Greetings from Sitka! I've been lurking for quite a while, but finally decided to look around at more forums and found this one!
Nice to see others from SE AK!

Adding in that I'm a Coast Guard spouse. I don't really have any friends who share parenting styles so it's nice to find that kinship online.

·
Registered
23 Posts
One more southeast mama to add to the bunch, Juneau is home.

I too have been lurking around for a while, I finally decided to jump into this thread.

Let's hear it for the snow instead of rain today!!!

Peace,
Wildermom

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildersmom View Post
One more southeast mama to add to the bunch, Juneau is home.

I too have been lurking around for a while, I finally decided to jump into this thread.

Let's hear it for the snow instead of rain today!!!

Peace,
Wildermom
WOOHOO i hear ya!!!! (btw i think its supposed to turn to rain tomarrow?
: )
Welcome!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts