Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I are probably heading your way in the next couple of months and I was wondering if you had any ideas on where to start looking for a house. Dh will be working around the Springfield/Branson area. Right now we live in a very small town. But we have lived in a larger city (Columbia) and loved it. We want someplace no too far away from a that area, where we could find like minded folks, AP-ers, home schoolers. We like the thought of buying a home that needs some work (dh does construction now). But are really open. So, any thoughts on where to begin looking?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hi Mama!

I grew up in the Spfld/Branson area and currently live in Nixa (pop. 12,000). Its about 15 south of Spfld and 25 north of Branson. I like it b/c it gives us access to a bigger city but if feels more like a town. My favorite things about this area has always been the general niceness of people and the outdoors (access to lots of rivers, lakes, hills, etc.). The mamas I have met were fairly AP. I will say, its no Columbia
I got to live there for about 5 years and it's so laid-back as well as progressive. And to round out my Missouri tour
, I ived in KC for about 5 years, too.

Tell me about Matthews. Where is it located in Missouri?

If you what to know more about Nixa or some of the small communities around it, just let me know.

·
Registered
539 Posts
i live in Kimberling City, which is 20-30 minutes from Branson, and about 1 hour from Springfield (yes, we measure distance in time rather than miles LOL). It's not very culturally diverse, and APers are few and far between, but life is very slow-paced, and it's mostly residential. We're considering moving closer to Springfield because we homeschool and would have access to the libraries and free/nearly free activities the city has to offer, but the smaller towns have their benefits too. We do have a library but it's VERY small, as it's run completely on donations and volunteers, with no tax money at all (cool, but like i said, SMALL). There are no city parks, public transportation, or even sidewalks out here. But people are generally friendly, and stay out of your business.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Springfield has an AP group for those who would attend. There are a few Homeschool groups, only one non-religious I think. We do a babywearing group.

I used to live in Columbia, Mo (went to MU) and other areas in Central Missouri (off a dirt road, off a dirt road). I like Springfield fairly well. My only issue is that there isn't more water around (like a big river). I am told there is a hiking place with a nice river, but its not quite Roacheport, YKWIM?

Feel free to email me if you move really close to Springfield and need a hand unpacking your truck. My husband's back is bad, but I am able to help if you need it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts