Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any very easy, CHEAP recipe ideas for a potluck? Not salad.
I don't want to spend money to bake something but need something quick I can throw together, I was even thinking chips and salsa? Of course, it will be the only thing I can eat!

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
baked beans is pretty cheap (navy beans, mustard powder, salt, can't remember what else is in it). Though it has to cook for a while. Prep is quick though.

what about a taboule?

If you're only avoiding soy and egg, there's tons of stuff: macaroni and cheese, pasta salad (with olive oil based dressing), green salad, kidney bean salad, oh wait. I have to stop. I'm drooling since I can't have any of that except the green salad.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
dairy and soy isn't that hard either.

You can still bring baked beans or taboule or pasta salad. Tuna macaroni salad with oil-based dressing (unless you want to make your own mayo). Check my blog for other stuff and check off your allergens. There's a lot of easy stuff on there.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? They're tunafish doesn't have soy or milk in it. Also if you look at the regular store and do one that is packed in olive oil, some of those are safe (and if you can't do mayo anyway, a little less "dry"). We also do canned wild salmon (Costco has a good one) that doesn't have additives either (and DH makes salmon salad sandwiches and salmon macaroni salad with it).

Squash soup is filling
veggie tray with dip made from coconut milk yogurt (I've realized recently I should bring this to every family and other potluck thing for a filler, for both me and the kids)
jambalaya
hot curried fruit in the slow cooker is a good dessert to share
bite size pasties (though not quick, would be fun and filling)
swedish meatballs
cole slaw with a vinegar-sugar dressing
fruit salad

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
I make my own (I get my dairy/soy free starter online at www.giprohealth.com). The turtle mountain one has something my kids can't have (don't remember what). And I've been making it for a couple of years, and I think the Turtle Mountain stuff just came out recently. I leave it pretty bland so that I can make dips sweet or savory.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. I'll try it! I prefer savory. I don't have enough time before the potluck Friday to order up the starter. Do they sell some in whole foods?
What else can you add to the dip, fresh herbs ok?

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
They don't sell the starter anywhere but online as far as I know. That's dairy and soy free.

I use minced onion, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and dillweed. You can probably use any herbs you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.