Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Has anyone noticed any link between eating/drinking soy products and morning sickness symptoms?  I get horrible morning sickness (that lasts most of the day and night) until my 3rd trimester (this is my 3rd pregnancy), and even though I've tried everything out there to help with my symptoms to no avail, I'm still constantly trying to figure out what variables make it better or worse.  I'm vegetarian and though I don't use a huge amount of soy products I do eat them on occasion, and have noticed a few very bad days I've had recently have been after eating meals with a lot of soy (either soy meat substitute or chinese/thai meals with a lot of soy sauce).   My not particularly scientific mind seems to remember that high estrogen levels during pregnancy are one of the reasons we get morning sickness, and also that soy has estrogen-like or estrogen mimicking qualities, so just wondered if there was any link.   </p>

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
<p>hmm....no, lol. But if it bothers you, then stay away. I say no because I had severe morning sickness for 26 weeks with dd #1 and was on zofran.  DD #1 has a soy/diary intolerance and I was nursing her while pregnant so I had been completely soy and diary free for 3 years (and I was super strict - no msg, no added "natural flavors", no foods made in the same facility as soy) and had morning sickness even worse with #2. Both lasted 26 weeks exactly. Both I needed zofran. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you notice a difference, then yes, stay away, but I didn't notice anything, and with #2 I tried everything because I was determined not to go through it again, but I couldn't find anything that helped.</p>

·
Registered
997 Posts
<p>I am vegan and soy is a staple in my house and in virtually almost everything I eat.  I had only slight nausea every so often in the evenings from week 7-10.  No vomiting or anything that wasn't remeied by eating a lttle something. That could just be one of your food aversions.</p>

·
Registered
661 Posts
<p>I did have mega aversions to soy in the beginning of my pregnancy. I was on a big tofu kick when I got pregnant, and DH was in the habit of buying two packs every grocery store trip, then all of the sudden even the thought of it made me want to hurl. That poor tofu sat in the fridge my whole first trimester until I fed it to the chickens.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't know that you can say much about food aversion/morning sickness. My biggest morning sickness trigger was broccoli.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts