Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a post saying that too much soy could be unhealthy. I had never heard that. Does anyone have any infomation? I am a veg that eats tons of soy. I would hate to find out that something I thought was so good isn't. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
well, soy has been one of my major protein sources without problem. Some people don't deal with soy as well. If it's a part of your diet before you're pregnant and it works for you, I wouldn't worry about making any major changes.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
this has been discussed here several times in the past. i browsed back through the "good eating" forum as well as the "i'm pregnant" forum and found a couple of old threads. you might try searching on "phytoestrogens" or something. it's kinda hard since they changed the search engine not to accept three letter words to do a search for "soy" related threads. anyway here are those threads ...

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=79838

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=77551

i'm going light on soy with this pg, but i'm sort of a food paranoid so your mileage may vary.

i think there's also an article i've seen references to here on dr mercola's site (maybe www.mercola.com ?).

hth

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Well your best bets for soy are the fermented choices (tofu, tempeh, miso, tamari, soy yogurt, fermented soy powder) and the whole beans (edamame). These forms of soy are easiest for the body to assimilate and digest. They have proven to be very beneficial for health.
The kinds to limit would be processed soy, such as soy milk, soy cheese, soy ice cream, vegi burgers, and soy isolate (protien powders, bars, etc).
Also be sure when choosing soy products that the soy is a non-gmo soy.
I think overall soy has proven to be pretty safe and healthy, it's just the gmo soy and processed soy that seems to show some possible negative effects on health.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I cannot help but think of all the traditional Eastern cultures that have consumed soy for centuries now, and birthed healthy babies and generally lived long healthy lives...
I think the key is that they traditionally consumed edamame or fermented soy foods, not highly processed soy, and not genetically modified soy.
Same goes for dairy. Other cultures consumed dairy and lived healthy, allergy-free lives. But most often the dairy was cultured (yogurt, sour cream, kefir, and even the cheeses), and if they drank milk most often it was raw organic milk, not pasturized, not processed, no additives. Dairy consumers of past generations and other cultures more often consumed goat or sheeps milk, which is easier for humans to assimilate and digest.
I think saying soy and dairy is bad for us is too general a statement. I think we need to look at what forms of these foods are good for us and work well with our bodies, and which forms are too far from natural or do not work well with our bodies.
This is true of many other foods as well~ whole wheat vs bleached degermed wheat, white sugar granules vs honey or molasses, wild caught salmon vs conventional farm raised salmon, etc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.