Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a vegetarian substitute for soy sauce (no fish)? I've eliminated all soybean from my diet because I think DD has intolerance/sensitivity to it.

I'd love to make some stir fried rice, but without soy it would be so bland...

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I don't know if shoyu or tamari have fish in them (I'm not at home or I'd check), but that may be an option if they don't. Also could check your local health food store to see what they have...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DahliaRW
I don't know if shoyu or tamari have fish in them (I'm not at home or I'd check), but that may be an option if they don't. Also could check your local health food store to see what they have...
Shoyu and tamari are both soy sauces. Shoyu is the traditional soy sauce and tamari is wheat-free.

Try vegetarian "oyster" sauce, available at Asian food stores. It's made from mushrooms.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I'd suggest using salt and increasing the other seasonings in the dishes- you can get an "oriental flavor" with things like toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger, etc.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
In an allergy cookbook I have they suggest a mix of molasses, sea salt and hot water... experiment with amounts and temp of the water . Says its not soy sauce but its a good substitute. Also if you have a nice organic veggie stock cube you like, you could dissolve it in a bit of hot water and use that... good on aisian dishes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been using a product called maggi seasoning. It's made by nestle (I know not good) and is a swiss prodct. It's made from hydrolyzed corn and rice. You have to check your labels because some maggi saesoning is made with soy but this one isn't. It tastes just like soy sauce. HTH Sarah

·
Registered
116 Posts
Bragg's liquid aminos. It tastes just like soy sauce (I am not kidding you) but is soooo good for you. My kids love it. I buy it from our Whole Foods Market. I think it is made from soybeans, is not fermented and is low in sodium. It has about 15 or 20 amino acids in it. Check out their website. You might be able to get a free sample or coupon or something.

·
Registered
979 Posts
It's a British "yeast extract." It is very thick and pasty; I mix a little bit with boiling water to make a soy sauce substitute. I also use it as a sub when a recipe calls for fish sauce since we are vegetarian.
My husband is allergic to soy also.
The molasses/balsamic vinegar one sounds good too, I'll have to try it!

Jen

·
Registered
849 Posts
hmmm...Since the soy is fermented (so is partially broken down or "digested"), I have always heard that it is much more easily dealt with in the body than, say, fake-meat processed soy items or even soy milk. So I would be surprised if small amounts of soy sauce would be causing a problem with your nursling.

As for the fish issue, if you get a kosher brand there will be no fish products in it (both Kikkoman and LaChoy are kosher, as are some of the better major brands of Soy Sauces, Shoyus and Tamari sauces at your local health food store. Look on the packaging for the symbols: U-inside-a-circle, or K-inside-a-circle, or the K-inside-a-star...those are the most widely seen kosher symbols). As long as it doesn't say "fish" right below/beside the symbol you can be absolutely certain that fish isn't in it.

good luck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.