Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this today and wanted to get some input here.

from http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/soy.html

Quote:
Studies show that most soy-allergic individuals may safely eat soybean oil (not cold pressed, expeller pressed, or extruded oil). If you are allergic to soy, ask your doctor whether or not you should avoid soy oil.
When should a soy allergic person avoid soybean oil?
What makes soybean OIL okay but something like soy lecithin not okay? no proteins?

· Registered
10,748 Posts
From these threads, it seems like a very individual thing. And allergic and intolerant are two different things, as well. My DS is soy intolerant and cannot handle even the most minute amount of soy (lecithin, oil, or anything else) in anything. Just like for some reason, some dairy intolerant people can handle ghee. You can take out the whole thing, and then add each part back in to check, or just take it all out to be safe (though if it's an anaphylactic response, I'd do it in a doctor's office!).

· Registered
3,419 Posts
It's individual. Soy lecithin is manufactured from soybean oil. Studies have shown that some allergenic proteins remain in oil and lecithin. The thing is, there are dozens of potentially allergenic proteins in soy. People are allergic to different proteins. Oil and lecithin don't have all the same proteins as, say, okara or tofu. So some folks tolerate oil and lecithin and others do not.

I react to all the usual suspects, plus soybean oil, soy lecithin, soy sauce, and soy-derived vitamin E. I'm fine with soy-derived MSG, soy-derived sodium lactate, mono&diglycerides, and a few other extremely refined additives. Those are really refined to their component molecules, so soy-derived sodium lactate is really no different than beet-derived sodium lactate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.