Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already got a fairly large crop of tomatoes from my garden and am expecting even more. I'm on the search for a good spaghetti sauce recipe, made with fresh tomatoes. So far I'm a little unlucky as most of them require canned tomatoes. Suggestions on where to look?

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
i always do:

3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil

saute until onions are soft

add:
1/2 diced green pepper
1/2 large zucchini, grated
1 onion, chopped
28 oz can tomato sauce
1 box frozwn spinach, thawed and squeezed dried
3 tsp italian spices (oregano, sage etc mixture)

bring to boil and simmer on low for an hour or throw in the crockpot on low for 6 hours.

i've been adding tvp to my sauce now as well. if you use it i do put 1/2 c. tvp in a bowl. add 3/4 c. boiling water and let tvp sit for 5 min. saute tvp in a bit of olive oil until it gets dry looking (about 5 min). add tvp to sauce and simmer as stated above.

this sauce feeds 3 of us with no leftovers.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Dakota's Mom for the link to VegWeb - it's the first one I've found so far online that looks like I could actually use my fresh tomatoes! :0)

babygrant - thanks for the veggie add-in ideas - the recipe's got canned tomato sauce, though, and won't allow me to use my yummy vine ripened tomatoes from my garden.
Still looks yummy, though!

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
just make your own sauce:

8 quarts peeled, cored chopped tomatoes (about 4 dozen large)
1 1/2 cups chopped sweet red peppers (about 3)
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon canning or pickling salt
1 clove garlic (optional)

Combine first four ingredients and cook slowly 1 hour. Press through a fine sieve. Add garlic clove, if desired. Continue cooking slowly until thick enough to round up on a spoon, about 2 1/2 hours. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. Remove garlic clove and bay leaves.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pamered_mom
the recipe's got canned tomato sauce, though, and won't allow me to use my yummy vine ripened tomatoes from my garden.
Still looks yummy, though!
Just substitute your fresh tomatoes for the canned ones. I've made sauce from fresh tomatoes a few times & I just make it up as I go, so this recipe should be fine. You might want to blend some if it to get a smoother consistancy. Oh & I don't peel the tomatoes either, I guess it is just a matter of preference

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
just make your own sauce:

8 quarts peeled, cored chopped tomatoes (about 4 dozen large)

Now that's what I was looking for!! Thanks!

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pamered_mom
Now that's what I was looking for!! Thanks!

Your welcome. My services are $20.00

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.