Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
16,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is very interested in learning Spanish. She even likes to watch the Spanish channel and keeps asking me what they say. Do you know a good of any educational materials that would be useful for a child at Kindergarten level? Thanks!

Darshani

· Registered
15,997 Posts
My 4 year old and 8 year old do powerglide and love it. I also have some cheap CDRoms I got from Sams club ($20 for 8 I think they are made by Topic) and a couple of them are excellent for kids. easy enough. McGraw hill also has some fun little workbooks that are cheap and have fun game type stuff in them. we use it all together.

· Registered
2,847 Posts
You should check out the music CDs of Jose Luis Orozco. He is Los Angeles based and records really simple, easy Spanish songs for children.

My two fav CDs are De Colores and Diez Deditos. Each of those CDs has like 20 songs! Pretty good deal.

The books (purchased separately) have the Spanish AND English transalation of the songs.

But buy the CDs first to check them out. Sadly my son doesn't like them, and I want him to learn Spanish (but I haven't tried hard enough.) I am not a fan of CDroms, so that's out (for us.)

· Premium Member
11,611 Posts
I heard from a couple of people that the best way for young kids to learn a language is to hire a native speaker-most likely a college student and have them play with the kids/converse. I'm thinking of doing that.

· Registered
3,457 Posts
Jose Luis Orozco has good CD's, as stated above.. he just came out with a DVD also. (matter of fact, if you decide on that, I can sell you ours cheap, as my kids could care less -there past that stage-)

The absolute best way for them to learn is to immerse them in it... watching the spanish channel is good, as they will learn the dialect early.

If you have migrant camps locally, you might consider a few things....
* Volunteer at the camp daycare/headstart
* Contact the church for the hispanics, and ask them if they know anyone interested in language trade (you keep 1 child XX hours XX days per week, and your child has a playmate, and learns spanish, while the hispanic child learns english)

There is always taking in a foreign exchange student.

and there are instant immersion programs available for the pc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.