Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
That's sad, but I am not that surprised. Most of the people I know feel a tap on the hand or a swat on the bottom is the proper way to disapline a child. They don't see this as abuse or anything of the sort. Sadly, if this bill passes it will give parents free rain to beat the living heck out of their children, or at least they may see it that way. Very sad.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I am actually split on this. While I don't think parent's should hit their children for any reason, I'm not sure I want the government implementing more laws that regulate how we act, including how we raise our children.

Maybe that makes sense?

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
While I agree that hitting ect is wrong, I think it's a slippery slope, I litterally had to drag dd through the airport about 2 months ago, where will the line be drawn.

Also I don't want the government telling me how to raise my children, this law is for something we like however what if the next one is mandatory vax, against NIP or co-sleeping......

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ja mama
I am actually split on this. While I don't think parent's should hit their children for any reason, I'm not sure I want the government implementing more laws that regulate how we act, including how we raise our children.
The problem with this is that children need this protection because, as of now, it's okay to hit and do all manner of abusive things to them. I agree that I don't want the government extensively regulating how people can act, but when their actions are inflicting harm on other members of our society (particularly those who can't otherwise defend themselves), then that behavior NEEDS to be prohibited by law.

Did anyone read the discussion page? Once again, there are the numbskulls claiming that no spanking = no discipline. And, of course, the one trying to explain the difference between hitting and spanking. Someone should ask him what he would call the action he has described as spanking if it was done to an adult.

It's sad that there are so many uncreative, detached parents out there who actually believe that it is their right to hit their child - or that their child actually needs to be hit.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eman'smom
Also I don't want the government telling me how to raise my children, this law is for something we like however what if the next one is mandatory vax, against NIP or co-sleeping......
The difference is that this bill would just afford children protection from something that everyone else in the country is already afforded protection against. It's bringing children up to the level of humans.

There's no slippery slope here.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonfly
The difference is that this bill would just afford children protection from something that everyone else in the country is already afforded protection against. It's bringing children up to the level of humans.

ITA with this. It is illegal to hit anyone else. But perfectly legal to hit a child? That doesn't make sense to me.

And if you look at Scandinavian countries (for example) where it is illegal to spank, you see a lot more creative parenting. A law like this would force parents to think outside of the box, and I think that would be a good thing.

They tried to pass a law outlawing spanking over 3's (still would have been legal to spank under 3's
) here in Scotland, but weren't able to.

I do tend to think that the English-speaking world has a long way to go before it does actually see children as human beings, just like everyone else.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommiska
They tried to pass a law outlawing spanking over 3's (still would have been legal to spank under 3's
) here in Scotland, but weren't able to.
WOW so the younger you spank the better? I am so glad that wasn't passed.

I am also one of those who is tired of all these little piddely laws being passed to control our actions, however like metioned above this is for protecting children. How long did beating the holy crap out of your child go on before it was called abuse? I am talking black eyes and the like. Now we know that is wrong and illegal. Now it is time to take a step forward and proclaim that the simple act of hitting your child is wrong and illegal. Imagine if your DH told his boss "I am not working this Saturday!" so your boss took off his belt and spanked DH. Are you kidding? That's illegal! But it's ok to do it to a child.... so sad.

I also see the slippery slope thing, but only if this bill DIDN'T get passed. This gives parents free rain to beat their children, not just the spankers and hand slappers, but the ones who do it out of anger and frustration and use belts and hangers. Where do we draw the line?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hunnybumm
This gives parents free rain to beat their children, not just the spankers and hand slappers, but the ones who do it out of anger and frustration and use belts and hangers.
I believe that the majority of spankers do it out of anger and frustration. In fact, I can't remember ever seing a child get hit when the parent was feeling calm and loving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommiska
They tried to pass a law outlawing spanking over 3's (still would have been legal to spank under 3's ) here in Scotland, but weren't able to.
Wow. That's opposite Canada's law which states it's illegal to spank a child under 2. Of course, we're still only permitted to spank the young children here as it's also illegal to spank children over 10. Apparently spanking works for an 8 year period in a child's life, but the rest of the time it doesn't.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonfly

:

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by abac
I believe that the majority of spankers do it out of anger and frustration. In fact, I can't remember ever seing a child get hit when the parent was feeling calm and loving.
I feel very fortunite then.
I have one aquaintance from play group who threatens to spank and spanks in utter frustration and anger. The other mommas get down at their childrens level and say "We don't hit" then slap their hand (yes I know that is a rediculous thing to say). But as far as I can tell there isn't anger, just punishment for whatever they did that was wrong. Though out of 10 friends I have only ever seen two people spank / hand smack their children. Guess I just haven't been very exposed. :/

Oh, well I have seen random strangers spank their kids in anger but honestly, not that often.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I agree that there should be laws protecting kids from any kind of hitting. You could say that that interferes with parents' privacy, but what about the child's right to be free from violence? A drunk a**hole who yells obscenities at people would be protected from being hit, but a child would not.

But I wouldn't want to see anyone go to jail. I think it would do more harm to a child to see a parent who slapped him on the hand go to jail than if there was no law at all. Maybe parenting classes.

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
It's so amazing to me that hitting a defenseless child is "OK" because "our parents did it."

It is never OK to hit, hurt, or otherwise physically assult a person, let alone when that person cannot fight back, or when that person is a child - YOUR - child.

I used to think spanking was normal and acceptable, and I bet ltos of us did. Why? Because my parents did it to me, and your parents likely did it to you. If we grow up with it, we think it's acceptable behavior. Then years ago somebody and I got into a discussion about it, and they asked if I thought it was also acceptable for a husband to hit his wife. I of course said no, then they said, and what is the difference between that and striking a child? Wouldn't a child be worse, as they are small and defenseless? It's so queer that it never crossed my mind to look at it that way.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Quote:
"He forgot his book. I went upstairs, I got my belt. I came downstairs. I gave him three swats on the rear end, with his pants on, like any concerned parent would do, and scared him, of course, you know. Hopefully I got the point across," Charles Enloe said.
I feel nauseous after reading that.

Regarding the link as a whole though -- I know it won't pass now, but I'm thrilled that it is even being considered. Its a step in the right direction that such issues are being tossed around at all.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.