Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that several of you have talked about SPD and the pain with it, and actually if it hadn't been for all of you I wouldn't have a clue was SPD was!<br><br>
Here's my pain story... and you can tell me if this sounds like SPD to you:<br><br>
Starting around 8 weeks of pregnancy I felt a distinct shifting in my low back and hips. I kept feeling <i>something</i> shifting around and I couldn't figure out what it was... but figured it was one of my vertebrae or something. The pain was pretty darned bad when standing and it hurt to walk, I was limping everywhere. So, I eventually limped over to a chiropractor at a health fair at school and begged him to help me. lol. He signed me up for my first appointment and even gave me a nice discount for it. At my first appointment they found that my right hip and shoulder were elevated and that there was definitely something off there. With treatment the pain gradually lessened but never went completely away. And a few times I had what felt like relapses where i'd go right back to the grinding and shifting down low in my back and hips. Then... in mid may I was just sitting down in a chair when suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my back and my left hip that gradually worsened and the pain began to shoot down my leg. I was gasping in pain. I tried getting up and moving around to see if that helped... but it only seemed to make it worse. So I sat and stretched out my left side and just breathed the best I could through the pain for about two minutes... and then it went away. I thought it might be kidney stones, and reported it to my OB at my next appointment a week later. Then, a few weeks later I felt a similar pain... altho not as bad... and so I ignored it. I recently finished my chiropractic "fix" care and only need to come in once every 3 weeks. My back hasn't necessarily been regressing... but I can tell it's not getting better! Oh, and I must mention that ever since 8 weeks of pregnancy i've found it hard to stand for long periods of time. Around 8 weeks I could stand for about 30-40 minutes without being in pain. Now, I can only stand for about 10 to 15 minutes before pain shoots down the backs of my legs, and generally takes over the whole of my entire lower back. Then the pain starts wrapping around the front of my hips... and if I don't sit down fast enough... I start getting BH contractions as well. I also can't walk more than 6 blocks without getting a horrendous side ache! I try to wear my maternity support belt whenever I go places. It helps, but only a little bit. It's better than no belt though. Oh, and then just last night I was on the phone with my mom and suddenly I guess I shifted some way and again sharp pain on my left side in my back, and in the front of my left hip and shooting down my left leg. I tried stretching out that side to try and shift and relieve the pain, but no matter how I moved it hurt. I was gasping again and was sure it was a kidney stone. Then as the pain subsided I tried to get up and the pain came back once again! I waited for it to subside... and once again tried to get up... but it came back a third time! This time was more painful than the first or second and so intense that I burst into tears. I bawled until the pain went away. Once it was gone I waited 5 or 10 minutes before trying to get up again. This time I was extra careful when I moved to get up and was able to get up fine and go use the bathroom. My left side has been sore since that experience. Got an ultrasound at an ultrasound clinic today (ordered by midwife) to check out my kidneys to rule out kidney stones. Not a stone in sight. And at my midwife appointment yesterday, when she pressed down on my pubic bone to measure the height of the fundus, it really hurt! She told me to relax it, but how could i relax with all that pain she was giving me? It really really hurt!<br><br>
Here's my best description of the pain (when it comes while sitting): It feels like someone taking their heel and digging it into the inside of your hip while you're laying on the floor and pressing down hard enough to push your hip to the floor. And then from all that pressure you feel pain shoot down your leg as well.<br><br>
Sound like SPD at all? Sheesh, I have no clue with all of this. I'm just trying to figure out why i've been in pain. *sigh* My midwife is going to talk all of this over with me tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
The thing with it shooting down the legs, especially in the back, sounds more like sciatica. Granted, you can have both at the same time, one thing off is likely to throw other things off, and some of the other things you mention sound more like SPD.<br><br>
Your chiro doesn't sound so great, if you're still in all this pain and he only wants to see you every 3 weeks, honestly. Maybe you can find a chiro who works with a lot of pregnant patients?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... didn't think of sciatica. Ugh. Great... two pain conditions! I'm not sure which one is causing the most pain... all I know is sometimes i'm in huge amounts of pain... and other times it's just... lingering pain. And the whole thing about not being able to stand, yep, that sucks. lol.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Can I suggest looking into cranial-sacral therapy (CST)? I've never been to a chiropractor, but happened upon CST a couple of years ago when DH's chiro was out of town and my back got so bad that I couldn't stand up and walk across the room. I knew of a local CST because of my childbirth connections and I called her. She got me in two days after Christmas. A session with her lasts about an hour and costs $65.00 (so about twice as much as an adjustment with DH's chiro), but I have only had to go to her TWICE in the three years since then. I walked out of her office that day pain free, and went back about 9 months later, more as a treat to myself than out of necessity. I sent a good friend and client to her for lower back, pelvic and ribcage pain and she had a very similar experience to mine, only she had her baby earlier than she's ever had a baby before (40+3 rather than 42!). Her baby's 16 months old now and none of the pain that she had has returned either.<br><br>
Speaking of...I need to call her because I'd like to see her a time or two before I have this baby just to be sure everything's in alignment.<br><br>
It's one of those things that just seems weird and crazy, but it works and so I don't care if it's weird and crazy...I just take it at face value and accept that it works, for whatever reason.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts