Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My son was recently diagnosed with sensory integration dysfunction (not sure how that's different from SPD). He is currently getting OT at his school (he is 6 y.o. and in K), and we are hoping to start OT soon with someone who specializes in sensory issues. He has major issues with impulse control, especially at times of transition- ie- getting dressed in the am and putting on pjs are huge hurdles for us. FYI, we have very few behavior issues at school, most of it is at home.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am wondering how diet changes  and supplements might be able to help him. We already eat fairly "natural" at home: very little white flour/sugar, no food colorings, etc. I'd be interested to hear about what other parents have done to help their kids with similar issues.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
322 Posts
<p>Well, for one thing, his body is likely using up "extras" pretty quickly.  It takes a lot out of a little kid to keep having this overloaded feeling all the time. B vitamins and fish oil can really help w/stress and anxiety.  There is a lot of good info on fish oil out there--for autism and for SID/SPD.  Maybe that is a little start....can't think thru it all right now, b/c I have the flu. LOL I know that my son who has high functioning autism (and SPD--one of his first dx's) does better w/a regular multi vitamin, fish oil, and probiotics.  He also does significantly better when we stay on a gluten free diet--all of his sensory issues are much, much better if I am strict about our dietary intake of gluten.  You can also easily find info on how and why a GFCF (gluten free casein free) diet helps some kids.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>GL!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>mrsfru</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts