Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I make this recipe allergy-free? http://www.chex.com/recipes/RecipeVi...CategoryId=342

I'm mostly trying to figure out what to sub for the peanut butter. We can't do any seeds or nuts. Can I double the amount of fat (spectrum shortening)? I have brown rice syrup and maple syrup, too. I'll grind my cane sugar for a more powdered. Also, I don't have chocolate chips right now. Do you think I could sub cocoa? Maybe mix the cocoa in brown rice syrup and heat with the fat? It won't really harden the same way, though. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
How can I make this recipe allergy-free? http://www.chex.com/recipes/RecipeVi...CategoryId=342

I'm mostly trying to figure out what to sub for the peanut butter. We can't do any seeds or nuts. Can I double the amount of fat (spectrum shortening)? I have brown rice syrup and maple syrup, too. I'll grind my cane sugar for a more powdered. Also, I don't have chocolate chips right now. Do you think I could sub cocoa? Maybe mix the cocoa in brown rice syrup and heat with the fat? It won't really harden the same way, though. Any suggestions?
So, can you use soy butter? It seems to me it has to be something with protein, but maybe just skip the peanut butter all together. I don't know much about nut/seed allergies...we do make our own cocoa stuff to replace chocolate chips with the recipe for chocolate syrup like this http://www.recipezaar.com/Chocolate-Syrup-22877 . We use half a cup of water instead, so it's much thicker. And it DOES harden. But really, it doesn't need to hard so much, because the powdered sugar really helps set it. We just made this, it's so yummy. I hope it works out for you....

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
When I was making my truffles the other day, I didn't have chocolate chips either. The sub is cocoa + sugar + shortening.... I have to dig it out of my desk though to find the ratios.... It worked for me. I'd say you have to add more fat to replace the nut butter.

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
During my googling yesterday, I saw a site that showed how much nut butter to substitute for regular butter.
It never even occurred to me to do a backwards conversion.
I'll see if I can find it real quick.

ETA:
From this site:

Quote:
When replacing butter with a nut butter, use the same amount as listed in the recipe.
So I guess no conversion is necessary.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
When I was making my truffles the other day, I didn't have chocolate chips either. The sub is cocoa + sugar + shortening.... I have to dig it out of my desk though to find the ratios.... It worked for me. I'd say you have to add more fat to replace the nut butter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
During my googling yesterday, I saw a site that showed how much nut butter to substitute for regular butter.
It never even occurred to me to do a backwards conversion.
I'll see if I can find it real quick.

ETA:
From this site:

So I guess no conversion is necessary.
Awesome! Thanks

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Never found my truffle recipe (oops). But I found the chocolate chip substitution.
6 oz. chocolate chips = 6 Tbs. cocoa + 7 Tbs. sugar + 1/4 c. shortening (I used palm sugar and palm shortening).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.