Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, usually I just use vodka to make my vanilla extract. However, I decided this time to make it corn free as well as everyone knows my thoughts about grain, besides the fact that I am sure the corn was gmo- plus I would rather it be as allergen friendly as possible. So, after reading on here a while back about using rum instead as it is fermented sugar I sent dh to get me some rum (as my other just have a bit left and it takes a while to steep). So, he had to drive all over this little town to find some Barbados rum. It was $26 for 750mL and the vanilla beans are $12 for 6-9- I use about 3, so about $32, but it is a huge honking jar and will last me a bit over a year. My last bottle will end up lasting about 14 months and this one is bigger, so I might get 18 mo out of it. So, it seems to me that it is certainly pretty cost effective as the "good" vanilla at the stores here is $10 for a small bottle. The rum smells yummy as well- I am thinking this vanilla will be a much better quality than the last.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and I thought it funny that the liquor guys thought it was crazy that I was using this good rum for vanilla and dh said the store owner was just drooling as he really wanted to taste it. So, my dh being the way he is wants to take the guy some.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I'm a corn free newbie. Could you please share exactly how you make this? The brand of rum, how many vanilla beans....the exact process, how long you have to wait to use it, etc. TIA!!!!

ETA: okay, i'm a little slow today. So...Barbados is a brand of rum? And you use 3 vanilla beans per 750 ml?

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
I'm thinking I need to invest in some rum as well. I have Captain Morgan's rum but who knows what's in that one. Drat. Do I have to make two bottles -- one with rum and vanilla beans for DD (who can't have corn) and one with some kind of corn alcohol (anyone know any?) for DS who can't have cane sugar or potato or gluten, but can have corn? I'm assuming I use the same process with both. I'll have to go to the liquor store on Friday (payday). Hmmm... that'll come out of my whittled grocery budget though....

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mary = there was a thread here while back discussing how the Tahitian or Barbados rum is should be ok. I just take 3 whole beans and split them down the middle and let them marinate in the alcohol, at least a month before I use it , the longer the better. I go by smell.

Kathy- maybe a google search or phone call and you could figure out what it is based on.. That would stink to have to make 2 seperate bottles. I took it that the vodka was corn based. It is a grain alcohol and in the US that means corn. Vodka is often what people use for vanilla extract anyway. Although the rum smells better to me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
What is the problem with vodka? I thought it was made from potatoes.

Thanks!

ETA: So I looked it up, you're right. How interesting, I always thought vodka was always made from potatoes. It looks like you can get vodka made from potatoes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.