Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here delivered at Special Beginnings? I'm signed up for their tour on the 13th because I really don't want to deliver in a hospital. I thought I was okay with going to Mercy with Kathy Sloan. But I've realized for as much as I like Kathy, I'm not at peace with being in a hospital environment.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I've had 2 births there and am planning a 3rd in September. I can't speak highly enough about them. They are very easy to work with, throughout pregnancy and in labor. They will be as involved or as hands off as you like. I can't imagine that after the tour you won't love them!
If you have any specific questions about them, feel free to ask me. I'd be glad to help you decide to birth there.

Suzy

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone told me one of their midwives is a guy. Can you choose not to see him?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by phathui5
Someone told me one of their midwives is a guy. Can you choose not to see him?
I suppose you probably could request that you not see him but I think most of their patients HOPE he's on call when they go into labor. He is truly an amazing man, very gentle and kind. I can't imagine not wanting him to be at my birth.
I would have thought that I would be uncomfortable with a male. In fact, I never saw a male GYN on purpose but David gave us our tour of the birth center and I was immediately at ease with him.
Try not to make up your mind before you meet him!
What time is your tour on Monday? I have a check up at 5:00 that day if you want to meet me there to chat about the center.

Suzy

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
The guy midwife - David - delivered my son.
We had a moderate shoulder dystocia issue, and David remained calm, told me exactly what to do, and got my son out with no problems!
He was also very good about sticking to my birth plan. I wanted to labor in peace, and I was given just that. He was very respectful towards me and my needs.
I was uneasy with the idea of David being the midwife at my son's birth. I had really bad experiences with male OB/GYNs in the past, and was uncomfortable with the idea of a male midwife. But, I'm really glad David was the one on-call when I went into labor!
He really is very soft-spoken and gentle. I just wish I'd built more of a relationship with him throughout my pregnancy. I somehow almost always managed to make appointments on his days off!

From what I've heard, most people really do end up hoping that David will be the one to deliver their child. He truly is an amazing midwife!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
i delivered all 3 of my children there! and david attened my first birth, Caught my second childed and was upset we didn't call him even tho he wasn't on call when i had my 3rd!! i love David! hes like family to me now! with my first i was 18 and was very nervous about a man mw i didn't really get to know him till i was in labor with her! now i always make my annul check ups with him! he is a great man, all the other midwifes are great too!! they really make you feel like your special and part of "the family" good luck and i hope you have a great birth no matter where you choose!

Susan

·
Registered
704 Posts
David really is a great midwife. I wouldn't trust any other male to be my doctor of any kind, but I would totally trust David as my midwife. You have to meet him before you judge him.

·
Registered
529 Posts
David delivered my dd too. He is an exceptionally gifted midwife, and very kind and compassionate. I too thought it was kind of weird at first, but it didn't take long to see that he is just wonderful.

As far as SB goes, I have nothing but amazing things to say about my prenatal care.

My labor, however, was three days long, and I wound up seeing three of the midwives (!) and ultimately delivering with David at the hospital. One of the midwives did something that was contrary to my birth plan, and it was very upsetting to me. If you would like to talk about it, you can PM me. I also have not been fully satisfied with my postpartum care.

Even with all that, though, I would probably birth there again. But, I wouldn't do it without first checking out the other birthing center in Annapolis. I will say this -- if I knew for certain that David would be on call for my birth -- I would do it in a heartbeat! He is really that great.

One more thing... we wound up giving birth at Anne Arundel Hospital, which was definitely not what we had in mind. My dh and I are very skeptical of hospitals and this was the very last thing we wanted to do. Well, we loved it. It was truly great there. Like a hotel! My daughter and I never left the room we birthed in, they had great lactation consultants, great nurses who were really supportive of breastfeeding and on top of all the details from one shift to another, and they even send a massage therapist to visit all new mothers! Even the food was good. I would still have rather given birth at SB, but after three days of labor, I was grateful for the extra attention I was able to receive at the hospital. There is no way I could have gone home in six hours.

Hope this is helpful, and I didn't ramble on too much.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We went to the tour last night. I signed the paper to transfer my records from Kathy to there and made an appointment. Having already had one baby at the now-closed Baltimore Birth Center, I really just wanted to make sure SB had the same feel since it's not a short drive for us to get there. My appointment next Monday is with Jessica, and then I'm going to rotate through them all during the next 12 weeks. Ah! I only have 12 weeks to go.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I'm glad you liked it. Jessica is very cool-I think she even had a homebirth herself! I met with Melissa last night for the first time and she was great. Very casual and knowledgeable. Since she's only been out of school for about a year she's really up on the latest trends and research. I really liked her. Joanne is also awesome. She started an IV for me when I was really dehydrated and sat with me chatting while I got my fluids. She even made me toast and jelly while I was there!
Well, congrats on your move. I'm sure you'll be happy birthing there!
Suzy

·
Registered
227 Posts
I absolutely loved Special Beginnings and recommend them all the time. I was in labor for over 60 hours (yes..true labor!!!) and kept going backwards and forwards to the birth center so got to see everyone on my 3 day experience. Everyone was great. When it came to the point of staying at the birth center, I had both Melissa and Joanne and can't speak highly enough of the attention and care. In the end I ended up in hospital having a C-section as my baby was very much stuck and Joanne came into the operating room and stayed until we were leaving the recovery room. The biggest thing is, you feel so comfortable with the staff at Special Beginnings that when it comes to an experience like mine, you feel that you can trust the direction of the midwife and not question if it is an OB kind of thing..no one worried about the timing or pushed me to have drugs. They just monitored things based on how the baby was doing and how I was doing. I have convinced practically all my pregnant friends to switch to Special Beginnings!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.