Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone subscribing to a special pregnancy diet? Brewers and the Weston A Price come to mind. I've been trying to transition to one of them, but I'm not fully there because I'm not to the point where I can make weekly menus yet. Instead I've been trying to hold to the principles for now. Like not worrying about eating too much protein, getting yummy raw milk in, and not worrying about the salt I sprinkle on my plate.

If you've picked one specific diet, why did that one appeal to you the best?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I used the Brewer diet, loosely speaking, last pregnancy because I liked the options it offered. I had a great pregnancy, gained 25 lbs. I felt like it was a good fit, with good results. I had an eight pounder when all was said and done, who was eight days late.

This time, I'm not sure I can afford it. Food cost has been an issue in our budget due to student loan debt and the area cost of living. But technically, our income is high enough that I feel morally icky in visiting a food bank. I haven't gained any weight this pregnancy (at 16 weeks) and now I'm wondering if I'm just not eating the right foods. But I hope that we can continue with the Brewer diet soon, if I can adjust it to be less expensive.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I used the Brewer diet, loosely speaking, last pregnancy because I liked the options it offered. I had a great pregnancy, gained 25 lbs. I felt like it was a good fit, with good results. I had an eight pounder when all was said and done, who was eight days late.

This time, I'm not sure I can afford it. Food cost has been an issue in our budget due to student loan debt and the area cost of living. But technically, our income is high enough that I feel morally icky in visiting a food bank. I haven't gained any weight this pregnancy (at 16 weeks) and now I'm wondering if I'm just not eating the right foods. But I hope that we can continue with the Brewer diet soon, if I can adjust it to be less expensive.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm eating a low-carb-high-fat diet to deal with gestational diabetes (pre-diabetes outside of pregnancy) and to keep weight gain in check. I eat a ton of veggies and protein and fat. I'm pretty much over special diets, but this isn't a big deal or dogmatic. It is pretty crazy how much fat I eat - remember in the 90s when Oprah told us not to eat more than 30g of fat a day? Haha! So glad those days are over. I'm always amazed when I see people still eating low-fat dairy products or low-fat processed foods. I'm over 18 weeks and haven't gained any weight (I don't really need to). My blood sugars have been great. So I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So true! And if I remember correctly, the pregnancy diets I looked at didn't really stress the carbs, but more the protein and fats. It's the traditional pregnancy books that mention the importance of low fat versions of foods in order to keep weight gain in check.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I follow the diet given to us by our Bradley instructor, but modified to be low-carb, due to GDM (no white potatoes, oj). So, it's lots of protein and veggies, low GI fruits, and whole grains. I allow myself any fats I want, as I'm mostly cooking with them, or melting butter on top of steamed veggies.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm eating paleo/primal as usual, supplementing with calcium, fish oil, prenatal, magnesium, and Vit D. I need to review my Brewer's diet stuff though...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts