Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,<br><br>
My DS2 had his screening for speech today through EI. As I anticipated, he did qualify for the full eval, which will be three weeks. They gave me the option to wait six more months and re-screen (because they are sooo busy - I felt like they thought maybe I would feel sorry for them since I knew them from working with DS1 ... ) but then he would be a month shy of three and since we have no intention of enrolling him in PS preschool that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to me.<br><br>
Anyway, the areas that concerned me and that she mentioned as well were minimal spontaneous words (around 25 max, which he uses intermittently), no two-word combinations (he will say a few phrases like thank-you and get up but not "want juice" or anything like that), no pointing to body parts on himself or others, and no pointing to pictures when asked. He will point to things that he wants but does not label or point to requested items.<br><br>
He is very sporadic with his desire to read. He went through a spell a few months ago where that's almost all he wanted to do - we read countless books and toddler magazines a day. Now he wants nothing to do with them and will throw them if I try to sit down and read to him - he is much more interested in running and playing right now. He is not interested in the little finger games and songs. He is very social and will play well with his cousins and other kids, tries to engage his brother (who is autistic so not very receptive unfortunately) and will pull me over to play playdough or other things with him, so I don't worry about his social abilities. His motor development seems appropriate for his age.<br><br>
Any ideas on how to help his language? I would love to be able to call them up and cancel the eval ... or at least have him not qualify by then ... I have tried sign language but so far he hasn't taken off with it. He used to sign "finished" fairly consistently when he was done eating but he quit doing that even though I prompt him at every meal. He hasn't been very receptive to other signs either.<br><br>
Any ideas?<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Have you tried the Signing Time or Baby Babble dvds? I really liked both of those. For some reason, she was more receptive to learning from Rachel than from me!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We do have the first Signing Time video. He enjoys watching it sometimes and will try to imitate the words vocally but does not try to imitate the signs yet. If I sit with him and try to do the signs he will come over and tell me no - he wants to try to say the words himself without me interfering in any way.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Our DS1 has developmental verbal dyspraxia - a motor planning issue, meaning, he knows exactly what he WANTS to say, but simply cannot figure out how to get his thoughts and ideas to come out using his lips/tongue and palate.<br><br>
I am not a SLP & certainly have no idea what is going on with your child, but perhaps your learning even basic cues on where the various sounds are formed in his mouth could help. I think there are several different cue series, but you could simply learn easy ones and work with him by using cues when you emphasize a word to him.<br><br>
I have no idea if this works with non-apraxic kids, but for our son it did; at 3YO, he spoke literally 5 words and now, barely 7 months since his first speech therapy session, he speaks 80% intelligibly and in 7-12 word sentences. DH & I joke about how blessed we are that he will not be quiet at all anymore!<br><br>
For example - The /T/ and /D/ sounds are made in the mid-mouth, so simply touching the center of your cheek is the cue. And /G/ sounds are cued by simply touching your throat. I have <i>no idea</i> why this works, but believe me, it does. (And DS1 cues himself with more complex words now; the physical reminder helps him)<br><br>
Not sure if it did, but I do hope this helps in some way!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks CB73! I will look into that - I have no idea if that's what's going on but it definitely looks like it would be worth a try. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Since he's interested in vocal language rather than signing, I really recommend the Baby Babble dvd. It's designed for kiddos with speech difficulties and works on oral motor issues and repeating simple words and phrases. My kids loved it from about six months or so. My 3.5 yr old still likes it. Im not a fan of the Baby Einstein type stuff, but I make an exception for this one. It's like speech therapy on dvd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts