Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have recommendations for a poor speller in high school? My daughter is in 9th grade and her spelling is fair, but not good at all....she spells well enough to understand what she is writing and can spell a lot of longer words, etc. but still misses those basic words...especially homonyms, etc. , words like tomorrow, etc.

I've used Spelling power....it didn't work. I used something last year that had apples in the title...it was supposed to cover those basic rules..didn't work....This year I had her be the 'teacher' for my 5th grader...thinking if she was in charge, she'd feel important and notice those details she'd skim over in the past....not working....

I know typing on the computer takes care of a lot of errors, but it doesn't notice words like homonyms, etc.

ugh....any suggestions?

· Registered
3,683 Posts
Have you looked at Sequential Spelling? It focuses on word families and gets progressively difficult - in one list you could have car, yard, disregard, safeguard. You will also get homophones - time, thyme and heteronyms - wind (wind blows) and wind (wind the watch.) You can try the first 8 lessons for free.

http://www.avko.org/sequentialspelling.html

· Registered
1,549 Posts
My daughter is a bit younger (8th), but we have had good luck with Sequential Spelling, as the pp mentioned. We are finishing up levels 4 and 5 right now. (Spelling Power didn't work for us either.) Over the course of the past couple years her spelling has improved dramatically.

The other thing that has helped has been Word Within the Word from www.rfwp.com It is a vocabulary program that teaches word roots. One part of the lesson is 'mystery spelling'. It is a list of long words built up from roots they learn in the program. They are long and impressive words to spell. We do it for fun and without worrying about how many she gets right - just hint at the roots. She has actually gotten quite good at spelling some really tough words doing this, and has developed a lot of confidence. She also studies her roots on www.quizlet.com. She has to type them in so that reinforces the spelling.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.