Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would never ask anyone else this in the world, but I feel safe here. After BD'ing a blob of stuff falls out when I use the restroom. It doesn't happen if we used a condom. I was never concerned before, but now I'm thinking if it is spermies, I'd rather them be swimming up inside and not around in a toliet during these TTC moments. Do I need to lay in bed for longer? Is it something else? Do the sperm escape from this blob and are already on their journey before I use the restroom. I try to wait 20-30 minutes before getting up after BD'ing. I know this sounds like a crazy question, but I'm wondering.

· Registered
1,433 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UberMama View Post
Ditto. It's seminal fluid. The sperm that are going to get up in there do so within seconds if not a minute at most.
I, too, was wondering exactly how long it takes them to swim up to the egg. It is strange after being so careful for so long to all of a sudden be trying. It's so... messy! Blech.

· Registered
3,361 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by musiclady View Post
I, too, was wondering exactly how long it takes them to swim up to the egg. It is strange after being so careful for so long to all of a sudden be trying. It's so... messy! Blech.
You can do what I did.. while laying there, I'd pop in an Instead Cup (fully knowing it probably didn't help things but it didn't hurt either, so what the heck?!) and leave it in for 12 hours. Of course, upon removal, be sure to be squatting over the toilet.. (ick!).

Some women, even TTC!, lay there for a few minutes and then get up and pee and do kegels. But many, including myself, refuse to do this for our own peace of minds, lol.

· Registered
1,433 Posts
I don't know that I could actually do the whole cup thing. WAAAYY too messy for me. I think lying still and with a pillow is a good enough idea for me.

· Registered
1,433 Posts
Not sure if this is true, but this is what I found:

http://books.google.com/books?id=KsW...sult#PPA305,M1

Says it only takes about 5 minutes to actually get there, but then sperm have to undergo "capacitation?" to remove a special coating from the sperm, and that may take about 7 hours. In my understanding, that happens in the fallopian tubes.

So, I guess that the swimmers are already gone by 5-10 minutes and the rest is just semen.

· Registered
3,361 Posts
They make it in the cervix (so gravity won't "pull" them down if you stand up) very quickly. But it does take time to move up to the tubes.

Capacitation happens in the tubes, sperm need to bathe in the sugary substance in order to mature and yes, it takes around 8 hours approximately. This is why DTD prior to ovulation is recommended, so the sperm are mature and waiting for the egg. Since the lifespan of an egg can be anywhere from as little as 6 (some say less, some say more for the minimum lifespan) to 24 (absolute maximum) hours.

· Registered
4,642 Posts
I LOVE the cup trick. That way the boys stay in there and I can go pee so I don't get a UTI. <- very nasty frequent thing for me while TTC

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for helping me out you all. Now I won't try so hard to keep them in.
. My stepmom swears by handstands after BD'ing while TTC. I'm not game for that, maybe after 12 months, or 15 months of trying.

Musiclady- ditto the mess. Why does it have to be so yucky!
Ubermama- I think I'll stick to baby wipes over a cup. Wipes make me feel almost as good as new.
Musiclady- I had no idea about capacitation. I have heard that sperm can make it to their destination in 15 minutes, but I never heard about this 8 hour deal.
: Looks like life just gets harder and harder for the little guys.

· Registered
3,361 Posts
Kriket, I used to get UTI's when DH and I were TTC our first as well. Thankfully I don't anymore for some reason.

If you prop your hips too high (or do handstands, lol), you risk the semen going up and behind and not where it should go.

I just do the cup and then 12 hours later I squat over the toilet, remove, toss cup in garbage and wash my hands immediately. When I don't use a cup, I just wear a pantyliner after for a few hours to catch anything.

· Registered
527 Posts
ok, so while were talking about private female matters.... does anyone know how orgasms effect TCCing? I usually have several and was just wondering if I'm killing or pushing my sperm friends out. Thanks for being willing to be open and personal. I can't imagine actually asking someone in person, face-to-face. I blush just thinking about you knowing, but I'm glad that I'll never meet any of you.

· Registered
456 Posts
I thought I remembered the capacitation from sex ed class, but since no-one ever talked about it I thought I was dreaming.

Kriket, here's my super duper solution for no UTIs after intercourse:
tea tree salve. I swear by it. I use it aferward, or after I get up to pee. I used to have them ALL the time, and since this I have none. This formula is mild, so it doesn't sting, just feels "minty fresh" as one friend who I suggested this to said. (I would NOT use straight Teatree tho, OW!)

Here's the product I use. I just put a bit on urethra area.

· Registered
133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zech13_9_goforgold View Post
ok, so while were talking about private female matters.... does anyone know how orgasms effect TCCing? I usually have several and was just wondering if I'm killing or pushing my sperm friends out. Thanks for being willing to be open and personal. I can't imagine actually asking someone in person, face-to-face. I blush just thinking about you knowing, but I'm glad that I'll never meet any of you.
I am trying to find where I read that female orgasms do not hurt TTC. They may even help by contracting and helping them get to the destination. Off to search the web........

· Registered
994 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zech13_9_goforgold View Post
I've never read anything that says we should avoid orgasms to conceive, but I have female orgasm may help us get pregnant:

25. ... But interestingly enough, female orgasms usually increase the quantity and flow of the natural alkaline secretions that occur around ovulation. And the orgasmic contractions may help transport sperm into the cervix, where cervical crypts produce fertile quality cervical fluid. In the end, though, female orgasm is helpful, but by no means critical.
From the TCOYF Fertility FAQ (online)

So enjoy yourself without fear!

· Registered
342 Posts
Kriket, have you ever tried taking 500mg vit. C each day? It's a water soluble vitamin and your body expells most of it through your urine. The beauty of it being that the pH of the urine is lowered and it's harder, if not impossible, for bacteria to grow and cause a UTI.

One year I had a UTI every two months, then I tried the vit C trick, and it worked a charm. No more.

· Registered
1,433 Posts
I also use a liner to catch the residual. I can handle that much better. Guess I'm just a little more squeamish that I had once thought.

hee hee

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.