Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other thread got me thinking. Why do formula-fed babies get fed on a schedule? Wouldn't they be cueing when they're hungry? I don't know much about formula, but I don't see why the logic is different there.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I am not sure, but if I ever FF'd (which I never plan to), I would bottle nurse (or use SNS) and feed on cue, it wouldn't make a difference to me!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by phoebemommy View Post
Why do formula-fed babies get fed on a schedule? Wouldn't they be cueing when they're hungry? I don't know much about formula, but I don't see why the logic is different there.
I can't imagine why the logic would be different. I don't know the other thread you're referring to, but no matter how a baby is fed, who doesn't feed them when they're hungry?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by griffin2004 View Post
I can't imagine why the logic would be different. I don't know the other thread you're referring to, but no matter how a baby is fed, who doesn't feed them when they're hungry?
Probably 99% of formula feeders feed on schedule. I think it's one of the "conveniences" of FFing.
:

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Moving to Life with a Babe, where you're more likely to get a wider representation of responses (I'm just not sure how well a bunch of breastfeeding mamas can answer the question,
!)

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
My SIL formula fed both of her boys on a RIGID schedule...it was for HER convenience, and so she could keep track of exactly how much they were consuming...
I never 'got it' personally.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I don't know anything about another post, so I may be way off here...I FF and would never dream of doing it on a schedule. Actually, almost all of my friends have also FF, and very few if any have done it on a schedule. I think that may be one of those assumptions made about FF moms. I have a really hard time believing that 99% of us do it on a schedule, and it's really not all that convenient when you factor in washing and sterilizing bottles, packing everything up in diaper bags, running to the store to buy formula and water, measuring at 3 AM, etc.

FF doesn't equal bad parenting.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
I can think of several reasons to feed formula on a schedule, not that I would do it if I ever had a real need to formula feed.

1. Formula is expensive. I'm guessing some mamas might be careful not to give "too much" because it's just so pricey.

2. I think (and I admit, I don't know) you can overeat with formula, unlike breastmilk. So maybe it's to protect little tummies?

3. Formula takes preparation, and it's easier to do things you have to prepare for on a schedule.

I'm just guessing here though.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Yeah, I don't FF but often I offer the boob to my DD when I think maybe she's hungry, and it turns out she isn't. I'd hate to make up a bottle when I wasn't sure. I'm not saying I'd schedule her, but I might not run to the kitchen every time she "might" be hungry, if I were FFing.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I think (also mostly clueless here) that it has to do with the possibility of over-eating with formula. Also, some babies who get constipated with formula need water bottles sometimes too and maybe they would be trying to make sur that the baby is getting enough formula to counterbalance the water?

I don't know really.

I've taken care of formula babies and most of them were on a very relaxed semi-schedule, which might be also just to prevent waste. With formula it's not like you can just whip it out and see if that will help with fussiness--the baby will get more upset while it is being prepared or warmed. You almost want to only give it when you know the baby is hungry and if you aren't good at watching cues then a schedule might seem to be the answer.

I dunno, seems like a lot of trouble to me.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I always kept a pretty tight schedule. Here are a few things that for *me* made is easier..

1. i would mix formula ahead of time and keep it in the fridge, even still I needed to know how many ounces she would take and at what time so it wouldn't go to waste.

2. To see how much she was actually eating.

3. If we went somewhere I could figure out how long we would be gone and knew how much formula and bottle to take with.

4. For her adjustment it really was critical to have her in a routine so she knew what to expect.

5. Again so I knew how much she was taking, to prevent a stomache ache.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I ff my children and there was no schedule. If they were hungry they got fed. Everyone I know who ff did it the same way I did. I only knew of one friend who started on a rigid schedule thanks to the bad information from her ped. to feed on a 4 hour schedule. Poor thing was so unhappy as an infant because she was hungry. After a month of everyone telling her that her ped. was wrong she started to feed on demand.

My guess would be that ff who follow a schedule do so from the bad advice they are give from their pediatrician.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
We bottle nursed on cue so I can't help much. Of course it started as BFing with supplementing so I didn't want to completely tear their worlds apart.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryJaneLouise View Post
Probably 99% of formula feeders feed on schedule. I think it's one of the "conveniences" of FFing.
:
None of the FF'ers I know feed on a schedule--they follow cues, too. Maybe it's a difference by region. FF does not necessarily = scheduling or unattached parenting; that's a dangerous and insulting presumption.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
When I failed breastfeeding the first time due to lack of support, I formula fed. (and yes, regretted it horribly) I fed on a schedule because my doctor was adamate about my baby only getting X amount of bottles per day. When she was still hungry, he pushed to put rice cereal in her bottles.

I know many ffing moms and they all do the same thing because their peds tell them too. They don't look for cues, and they do actually say ,"You can't have a bottle right now, you just had one an hour ago.. you have to wait two more hours. Sorry buddy!"

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have to ff this baby, but he eats when he's hungry. Its usually somewhere around every 4 - 5 hours. I try to feed him before he gets upset so sometimes I do end up wasting a bottle. Yes, babies can overeat on formula, but thats a situation where you'd give water or something. My ped says they're overeating if they consistantly want more than 32 oz a day. Every baby has the odd day of being hungrier, and there's no way I'd deny my son if he's having one of these random growth spurt days.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
When I was a nanny, I bottle fed a lot of babies and it was never on a schedule. Some were formula fed and some got bottles of EBM, but I was never instructed by any parent to feed them on a schedule. THere was a 'rough' schedule of when they were usually hungry, but if one seemed hungry before the usual time, they got fed

Personally I have found, both with my own babies and with those I cared for as a nanny, that babies tend to form their own schedule after the first 6 months or so. They tend to be hungry and sleepy at generally the same times during the day and I have always just followed their lead. I don't think all bottle/formula feeders do so on a schedule. I think many bottle feeders, like breastfeeders, follow their baby's cues.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
I breastfed, pumped and gave expressed milk and gave formula.

I never put my kids on a schedule for eating, they were fed the formula just they way they were nursed....when they were hungry (i did this with all three kids).

My friend however, put her daughter on a very rigid schedule. I have never understood it (and I had another nursing mama who nursed only every three hours no matter what, so I think for some people, scheduling is their thing!).

My mom told me that if you give a baby what he wants during the day (boob wise or formula wise) they are more satisfied, and tend to sleep better. Not true for my first, but my second and third were champion sleepers, with the 3rd going all night at 4 weeks.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I've babysat 2 babies who were FF on a loose schedule and one who seems to be fed randomly.

The scheduled babies always took a full or nearly full bottle. They rarely spit up, and they rarely fussed when they weren't hungry. Incidentally, they were also both adopted from an orphanage in another country & they were conditioned to the schedule long before their mom brought them home.

The "on demand" baby sometimes took an ounce or two, sometimes took 10-12oz. He sometimes ate every hour, sometimes every six. He spit up constantly and cried relentlessly. He's almost a year old now, and he still eats and sleeps erratically. While this might be simply aggravating for a stay at home parent, it makes life unbelievably hard for his single, working dad who needs to maintain a schedule to just get by.

Three examples are very unscientific, I know.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I pretty much fed on cue when I ff, back in the day when I didn't have enough support or knowledge to get through my bf problems. But I think the waste issue is a big one. You really aren't supposed to save what's left in a bottle after a baby drank from it, so if they were only a little hungry and you made a full bottle, some of it's going to go to waste, and formula isn't cheap. There are ways around this, of course. If my ds was hungry sooner than it seemed like he "should" be, I'd just make a smaller serving, better to have to make more than to throw out the unused stuff.

Another thing is, babies can't really comfort nurse on a bottle like they can on the breast, the formula comes out even if they change their sucking pattern. So if you feed a baby who just wants to suck for comfort, they're likely to overeat and then spit up all over the place...once again, waste. And still, you can get around it by reading their cues and offering a paci when they just want to suck, but that takes some practice.

And heck, maybe this is just my experience, but my ff baby kind of put himself on a schedule. Not totally rigid, but he was often hungry at predictable times. Perhaps because the makeup of formula is static, so it always goes through the digestive tract at a similar rate, whereas breastmilk is always changing, so maybe it gets digested faster or slower depending on what mom ate, what time of day it is, etc? I have no evidence to back that up, so I may be wrong, it's just a theory.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts